Part Time Driver
African Leadership Academy
DRIVER (PART TIME)
About the Academy
African Leadership Academy (ALA) seeks to transform Africa by identifying, developing, and connecting a new generation of future leaders. The Academy was founded on the philosophy that a new generation of ethical, committed leaders is the key to Africa’s development. Each year, ALA draws the most outstanding students from across Africa to its campus in South Africa. Here, they build a powerful intellectual foundation and develop their leadership capacity through ALA’s unique curriculum. ALA then works with these young leaders throughout their lives as they enable lasting positive change on the African continent. With its audacious mission and lifelong engagement model, ALA is unlike any school in the world.
About the role
African Leadership Academy is looking for a responsible, organized, and safety-conscious Driver to join our team on a part time basis. We’re looking for someone who has a proven track record of safe, skillful driving to transport staff and students between locations. The Diver must establish rapport with students and ensure all passengers follow ALA mandated procedures. The ideal candidate will enjoy being behind the wheel, seeing new places, and meeting new people.
- Operate company vehicles for scheduled student and staff trips in a timely fashion.
- Conduct vehicle inspections/pre trip inspections to ensure that vehicles are in good operating condition.
- Use navigational technology to find and follow optimal routes.
- Be attentive to the traffic and weather conditions, stay on schedule and ensure the safety of passengers.
- Comply with all traffic laws and company safety regulations.
- Ensure that all passengers have their seatbelts fastened before moving the bus, and maintain rules of conduct, and respond to emergencies.
- Keep track of the number of students on the bus and ensure that they are all of the return to the Academy from trip.
- Represent the company positively and professionally in interactions with customers and the public.
- Gain a thorough understanding of the local area and the most efficient routes.
Required Skills and Experience
- Valid Code 10 driver’s license and Public Driving Permit (PDP)
- Previous experience driving for a school would be an advantage
- Ability to drive for extended periods
- Strong commitment to safety
- Excellent navigational skills
- Good communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to proficiently read, write and speak English
Reporting: This role reports to the Procurement Manager
Start Date: ASAP
Location: Strong preference for candidates based close to our campus in Honeydew due to the nature of the job.