African Leadership Academy
About African Leadership Academy
African Leadership Academy (ALA) seeks to transform Africa by identifying, developing, and connecting a new generation of future leaders. The Academy was founded on the philosophy that a new generation of ethical, committed leaders is the key to Africa’s development. Each year, ALA draws the most outstanding students from across Africa to its campus in South Africa. Here, they build a powerful intellectual foundation and develop their leadership capacity through ALA’s unique curriculum. ALA then works with these young leaders throughout their lives as they enable lasting positive change on the African continent. With its audacious mission and lifelong engagement model, ALA is unlike any school in the world.
About the Position
African Leadership Academy seeks to appoint a detail-oriented Marketing Associate who will support the day-to-day operations of the Marketing team. The Marketing Associate will create and manage content across social media channels, support in drafting external communications such as the newsletter, and work collaboratively with the Director of Marketing and Communications to ensure that all departments across the organization are supported in their marketing needs.
Social media content creation, posting, and channel management
- Implement our social media strategy to increase our online presence and improve our marketing and recruitment efforts.
- Collaborate with the Director of Marketing and Communications to plan the monthly social media calendar for all channels. Capture content on-campus (events and everyday student life) that can be shared on social channels, writing clear and concise captions.
- Use data to measure the effectiveness of the social media strategy.
- Design social media ads for the 2 Year Diploma Program and ALA’s Global Scholars Program
- Manage all ALA’s social media accounts, responding to messages, comments, and mentions, and community inbox management (marketing inbox).
- Create monthly social media reports on performance and targets.
- Manage a student media team that supports content creation (social media posts, photography, videography, etc).
Assist in creating and editing written, video, and photo content.
- Draft stories for the website, newsletter, annual report, and outreach campaigns.
- Source images for each campaign, design email templates, managing mailing lists.
- Update the website to ensure that it is up-to-date.
- Support departments across the Academy to ensure they have the collateral needed to engage with external stakeholders.
- Coordinate and engage with departments across the organization, and ensure that their events and activities have appropriate marketing support.
- Work closely with external service providers who support the Academy’s marketing needs, such as designers, videographers, ad strategists, and more.
- Manage the ALA media archives, ensuring photos are correctly labeled and stored on Box (ALA’s chosen cloud storage solution).
The ideal candidate:
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree
- At least two years of experience working in a social media, writing, or digital marketing role.
- Strong working knowledge of Meta Business Suite, LinkedIn, and Google Ads.
- A creative who is confident in their ability to create content on Canva, Visme, Adobe Creative, or a similar tool.
- Demonstrated experience managing social media across channels.
- A strong writer who can craft concise and compelling messages, and has written for a variety of different audiences.
- Proven experience using data to inform content & social media strategy
- Working knowledge of social media tracking and analytics tools such as Buffer, Meltwater, and Google Analytics.
- Strong customer service orientation, with experience responding quickly and accurately to stakeholders across social media channels.
Reporting: This role reports to the Director of Marketing & Communications
Start Date: 1 October 2023
Location: ALA Campus, Johannesburg, South Africa