Senior Associate, Communications and Engagement
The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is a global nonprofit organization committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society. Since its founding in 1949, the Institute has been driving change through dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the most critical challenges facing communities in the United States and around the world. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Institute has a campus in Aspen, Colorado, and an international network of partners.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
To achieve our mission of a more free, just, and equitable society, we commit to working proactively to advance the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion across our myriad endeavors such as the recruitment, compensation, training, and advancement of staff. The best people-serving institutions make this commitment, and we seek to be a leader in the ways that we do so and learn from others. Visit our website to learn more about our commitment and recent actions taken toward building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive environment.
The Aspen Strategy Group’s (ASG) mission is to convene decision makers in resolutely non-partisan public and private forums to address key foreign policy and national security challenges facing the United States. The ASG organizes its annual Summer Workshop, hosts Track II dialogues, and presents the annual Aspen Security Forum where domestic and foreign government officials, business executives, leading academics, and noted journalists convene to discuss solutions to the most pressing national security and foreign policy challenges of our time. As a part of the Aspen Strategy Group’s commitment to cultivating the next generation of leaders in national security and foreign policy, the third pillar of its work is the Rising Leaders Program for young professionals.
The Senior Associate, Communications and Engagement will support the Aspen Strategy Group (ASG) team by conceptualizing and implementing the media, branding, and press exposure of all ASG initiatives, most notably the annual Aspen Security Forums (ASF) in Aspen, CO and Washington, DC. The Senior Associate will work closely with the Aspen Strategy Group team, Aspen Security Forum Senior Advisor, the media, external partners, the Aspen Institute Communications team, and more to advance our public impact, media exposure, press coverage, and promote the broad range of programs, publications, and special events organized by the Aspen Strategy Group.
This position reports to the Director. The salary range for this position is $74,00 - $78,000. This is a hybrid, Washington, DC-based position. Selected candidates are expected to work in person at the Washington, DC office approximately two days per week.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Set communications goals and develop media engagement strategies to meet annual coverage targets for the Aspen Security Forum, and all ASG public facing events and products (ex. weekly newsletter, public statements, publications, media appearances, blog posts, tweets).
- Support external communications for ASG, including developing and maintaining proactive media relations for leadership, conference amplification, and content creation across digital channels, and ensure our content reaches a maximum senior level audience and supports the impact of our initiatives.
- Be responsible for effective and consistent brand stewardship from video to our online presence, and digital platforms.
- Develop, track, and present key KPIs and metrics for ASG and ASF brand growth.
- Creatively promote the wide variety of Aspen Strategy Group and Aspen Security Forum projects, experts, content, products, and events on a variety of platforms as appropriate for each effort.
- Identify and execute opportunities to reach new and existing audiences.
- Maximizing the time horizon of press coverage of our content – the “echo chamber” across all pillars of our work.
- Manage re-design of website.
- Support the Aspen Security Forum Strategic Partnerships Advisor in planning and building long-lasting relationships with key sponsors, key partners, and potential partners.
- Cultivate these partnerships to make sure we can take full advantage of alliances and activate them effectively, professionally, and in ways that fulfill their goals and maximize alignment of opportunities across the ASG portfolio.
- Facilitate communication between sponsors/organizations, the ASG Team, and other parts of the Aspen Institute supporting us (e.g., legal, conference services, comms, Aspen Meadows)
- Develop and manage sponsor/underwriter partner contracts.
- Track sponsorship terms, legal paperwork, and deliverables to ensure all deadlines are met, and that paperwork meets Aspen Institute and ASG guidelines. This includes maintaining:
- Customized tracking systems for each sponsor
- Underwriter (UW) revenue and prospect tracking system updates in real time
- 360-degree UW tracker to encompass all elements of sponsorships.
- UW staffing plan and photographer schedule during event
- Post-event recap and photo assets for each sponsor
- Participate in regular sponsor calls and provide support (note taking, tracking tasks and follow up items, etc.)
- Work closely with leadership team to design and maintain a dynamic partnership deck and range of marketing materials that capture and successfully promote sponsorship opportunities in line with our mission and goals.
- Produce and manage a variety of bespoke events throughout the year from beginning to end.
Knowledge, Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s or master’s degree in communications, international relations, public policy, or related field.
- 5-7 years work experience in communications/press/brand management.
- Existing positive relationship with key U.S. journalists and producers in the national security and foreign policy space.
- Understanding of/experience at other key foreign policy conferences and organizations.
- High tolerance to ambiguity. Flexibility to adapt workflow and methods to changing program priorities is a must.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including a desire to learn, sense of humor, and creativity.
- In-depth knowledge of best writing and messaging practices for marketing and social media.
- Ability to work independently and within a small dynamic team.
- Outstanding attention to detail.
- Knowledge of current events, domestic and international affairs, and topical issues affecting U.S. and allied national security concerns.
- Required to be based in Washington, DC.
The Aspen Institute offers a generous benefits package including health, dental, vision, and prescription benefits, retirement benefits, and paid leave.
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.
If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation regarding the accessibility of our website, a modification or adjustment of the job application or interview process due to a disability, contact HRSupport@aspeninstitute.org or call (202) 736-5800.