The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is a global nonprofit organization committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society. Since its founding in 1949, the Institute has been driving change through dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the most critical challenges facing communities in the United States and around the world. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Institute has a campus in Aspen, Colorado, and an international network of partners.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
To achieve our mission of a more free, just, and equitable society, we commit to working proactively to advance the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion across our myriad endeavors such as the recruitment, compensation, training, and advancement of staff. The best people-serving institutions make this commitment, and we seek to be a leader in the ways that we do so and learn from others. Visit our website to learn more about our commitment and recent actions taken toward building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive environment.
The Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE) is a program within the Aspen Institute. ANDE is a global membership network of organizations that propel entrepreneurship in emerging markets. ANDE members provide critical financial, educational, and business support services to small and growing businesses (SGBs) based on the conviction that SGBs will create jobs, stimulate long-term economic growth, and produce environmental and social benefits. Ultimately, we believe that SGBs can help lift countries out of poverty.
Launched with 34 members in 2009, ANDE now comprises over 230 members who collectively operate in more than 150 countries. Members of ANDE include both for and nonprofit investment funds, capacity development providers, research and academic institutions, development finance institutions, foundations and corporations from around the world. With an office in Washington, D.C. and eight regional offices in emerging markets, the ANDE team works hard to support members globally, and locally, while building strong ecosystems for entrepreneurial growth. ANDE develops unique initiatives to address systemic challenges and seize opportunities that can only be approached through collective action.
The India chapter seeks a candidate with passion for supporting Small Growing Businesses (SGBs) across the region. In this role, you will have outstanding interpersonal skills, working closely with the Regional Chapter Head to deliver work of high quality.
The Program Associate will be keen to understand the needs of ANDE members in the region as well as lead specific key initiatives and research projects from conceptualization to implementation. The ideal candidate is expected to excel at cultivating and maintaining close cross-cultural relationships within the entrepreneurial ecosystem. Specifically, you will build relationships by engaging the robust ANDE network in the region through targeted programs and events. ANDE operates globally with teams and member organizations spanning Latin America, Africa, North America, and Asia, and the ability to create strong, authentic, and long-term relationships is essential to the chapter’s success. The Program Associate will also have great deal of exposure supporting day-to-day activities of the chapter executing tasks such as quarterly reporting, budgeting and fundraising, providing administrative and communication support for local operations and events. Each day will be different, and this role will provide a wide variety of skills development opportunities and exposure to topic areas throughout the small and growing business space in South Asia. The work routine involves a mix of in-office hours, work from home, and external events. Flexible hours and remote work to enable communications with our international staff and members in other time zones is needed.
This position reports directly to the India Regional Chapter Head. The salary range for this position is 803,368 - 1,205,052 Indian Rupees per year. This position with ANDE’s India Chapter is based in Bangalore, India.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Leadership of specific project initiatives, such as ANDE’s Learning Labs and funded implementation projects, from conception to implementation
- Scheduling and running meetings and networking events for members and partners.
- Leading on curating agenda and content for the chapter’s various types of events and convenings, including and not limited to, Learning Labs, member-led webinars and cross-chapter convenings.
- Building relationship with members and facilitating connections between the network’s members.
- Cultivating new relationships with organizations in the ecosystem that can help advance ecosystem development for the region.
- Management of chapter administrative tasks including updating Salesforce.
- Support on the communications strategy and all communication tasks (newsletter, social media, website, invitations, etc.).
- Writing or co-authoring articles that consolidate learning from ANDE meetings and research.
- Drafting and conceptualizing proposals and concept notes for new programs and research initiatives; supporting fundraising activity.
- Provide recommendations to strengthen the quality and efficiency of our chapter activities.
- Participate in annual planning and budget processes.
Knowledge, Education and Experience:
- 4-6 years’ experience working in a similar role or in a startup environment with limited resources. Prior research roles/experience is desirable.
- Excellent writing and presentation skills and an ability to communicate succinctly and clearly, a focus on collaborative work, and an aptitude for networking.
- Resourceful, proactive, and excited to learn and take on new challenges.
- Demonstrated ability to be a strategic thinker turning big-picture goals and ecosystem needs into implementable programs.
- High level of organization and goal-orientation, excelling at handling multiple priorities, simultaneously.
- Demonstrated history of problem solving and efficiency at process development.
- Passion for supporting ANDE’s team and members towards the goal of building a robust entrepreneurial ecosystem in emerging markets to alleviate poverty.
- A true team player, excited about engaging with many cultures and learning about the entrepreneurial sector.
- Must be able to travel up to 40% of the time within the region and internationally.
- Fluent in English with Experience studying or working in the US/UK or working with global organizations is highly preferred.
- Experience of work in the climate and environment sector is a definite plus.
Please submit a cover letter, salary expectations, and resume through the online portal.
Position is only open to local applicants from India. Applicants must have all necessary permissions to work in India.
This position is being recruited through the Aspen Institute and for its work. Candidates will be hired by a local partner who will serve as the employer of record.
If you would like to request a reasonable accommodation regarding the accessibility of our website, a modification or adjustment of the job application or interview process due to a disability, contact HRSupport@aspeninstitute.org or call (202) 736-5800.