Digital Content Coordinator
The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is a global nonprofit organization committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society. Since its founding in 1949, the Institute has been driving change through dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the most critical challenges facing communities in the United States and around the world. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Institute has a campus in Aspen, Colorado, and an international network of partners.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
To achieve our mission of a more free, just, and equitable society, we commit to working proactively to advance the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion across our myriad endeavors such as the recruitment, compensation, training, and advancement of staff. The best people-serving institutions make this commitment, and we seek to be a leader in the ways that we do so and learn from others. Visit our website to learn more about our commitment and recent actions taken toward building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive environment.
The Communications and Marketing Department creates compelling content to elevate and position the Aspen Institute as a values-based organization that ignites human potential through dialogue, leadership, and action to build understanding and create new possibilities for a better world. The department also serves as an in-house agency that provides communications and marketing support to the Institute’s 40+ programs, initiatives, public events, fundraising efforts, and the president’s office. Learn more at aspeninstitute.org.
We function on the foundation of 5 values: Collaboration, Learning, Excellence, Accountability and Respect or CLEAR. These attributes and behaviors are how we work. Upholding our department values is of paramount importance as they guide us to thoughtfully engage with our colleagues whilst performing at the highest level.
The Digital Content Producer is vital in executing the content strategy across the Institute’s main digital channels. They are a storyteller who knows how to find engaging stories and create engaging and shareable content. They also collaborate with multiple teams to gather information and ensure all content meets the Institute’s brand guidelines.
This position reports directly to Creative Services Director, Communications & Marketing. The salary range for this position is $50,000 - $57,000. The expectation is for this role to be in our Washington D.C. office a minimum of 2x a week to collaborate with colleagues.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Content Creation and Curation
- Partner with Communications staff and Aspen Institute programs to curate and share engaging content for the Institute’s main digital channels, across web, social media, video, and email newsletters.
- Edit the Aspen Institute home page and blog content.
- Create and edit social graphics and videos.
- Optimize web content for search engines to help drive organic traffic.
- Collaborate with internal teams to gather information and ideas for content creation.
- Assist in developing and managing the content calendar for email newsletters, ensuring regular and timely distribution.
- Assist in developing and managing the Institute’s video archive in partnership with colleagues across the Institute.
Digital Content Strategy
- Work collaboratively with the Content Strategy Manager and Digital Content Producer to integrate editorial efforts across all digital channels.
- Stay updated with industry trends and best practices in digital content creation and email marketing.
Social Media and Engagement
- Partner with Digital Content Producer to create engaging content for major social media platforms to drive audience interaction and community engagement.
- Monitor and respond to user feedback and comments on digital content.
- Find new ways to use social media and the Institute's website to engage with target audiences.
Brand Voice and Guidelines
- Maintain a consistent brand voice in all digital content, aligning with the Institute’s brand guidelines.
Data Analysis and Optimization
- Assist in monitoring email and web performance metrics to improve engagement.
- Partner with the audience insights specialist to proactively find audience opportunities in the data.
Collaboration and Communication
- Collaborate with peers on the Communications team to ensure the content strategy aligns with our larger editorial priorities and goals.
- Collaborate with internal teams and stakeholders, including the Institute’s 100+ communications staffers for 75+ programs and projects, to ensure seamless integration across multiple channels.
Knowledge, Education, and Experience:
- Has 1-3 years in digital content creation, social media management, or related roles
- Maintains Content Creation and Multimedia Skills:
- Demonstrated experience creating content calendars, and implementing strategies.
- Experience in crafting engaging digital content for websites, social media, and email.
- Strong writing/editing skills for concise and compelling online content.
- Comfort and experience creating graphics with Canva or a similar tool, including within templates and original graphics.
- Basic video editing capabilities are a plus.
- Has Platform Management Skills:
- Experience managing social media, including Twitter/X, Facebook, Instagram, LinkedIn, and YouTube; Experience using social CMS platforms such as Sprout a plus.
- Proficiency in multitasking and meeting deadlines.
- Excellent communication skills for teamwork and stakeholder collaboration.
- Up-to-date with digital trends, emerging formats, and social platforms.
- Passion for storytelling, journalism, and cultural trends.
- Curiosity, empathy, hustle, and grit.
- Bachelor’s degree in Marketing, Communications, Digital Media, Journalism, or related field a plus.
The Aspen Institute offers a generous benefits package including health, dental, vision, and prescription benefits, retirement benefits, and paid leave.
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.