Audience Insights Specialist
The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is a global nonprofit organization committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society. Since its founding in 1949, the Institute has been driving change through dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the most critical challenges facing communities in the United States and around the world. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Institute has a campus in Aspen, Colorado, and an international network of partners.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
To achieve our mission of a more free, just, and equitable society, we commit to working proactively to advance the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion across our myriad endeavors such as the recruitment, compensation, training, and advancement of staff. The best people-serving institutions make this commitment, and we seek to be a leader in the ways that we do so and learn from others. Visit our website to learn more about our commitment and recent actions taken toward building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive environment.
The Communications and Marketing Department creates compelling content to elevate and position the Aspen Institute as a values-based organization that ignites human potential through dialogue, leadership, and action to build understanding and create new possibilities for a better world. The department also serves as an in-house agency that provides communications and marketing support to the Institute’s 40+ programs, initiatives, public events, fundraising efforts, and the president’s office. Learn more at aspeninstitute.org.
We function on the foundation of 5 values: Collaboration, Learning, Excellence, Accountability and Respect or CLEAR. These attributes and behaviors are how we work. Upholding our department values is of paramount importance as they guide us to thoughtfully engage with our colleagues whilst performing at the highest level.
The Audience Insights Specialist supports audience growth and engagement across our Enterprise, Creative Services, and Media Relations teams. The ideal candidate will possess a strong analytical background and expertise in market research, consumer behavior, and data analysis. By helping us to better understand our target audiences better, the Audience Insights Specialist will enable us to deliver more impactful and relevant content that resonates with diverse demographic groups.
This position reports to the Managing Director, Communications & Marketing. The salary range for this position is $70,000 - $89,700. The expectation is for this role to be in our Washington D.C. office a minimum of 2x a week to collaborate with colleagues.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Audience Research and Analysis
- Collect, analyze, and interpret data from multiple sources including social media, web analytics, surveys, focus groups, and market trends to understand audience needs and behaviors.
- Partner with technology colleagues to implement and improve analytics and tracking on AspenInstitute.org and other digital properties.
- Proactively analyze audience data to report trends, patterns, and growth opportunities.
- Develop audience segments to tailor content and messaging for different demographic groups.
Content Strategy Development
- Collaborate with the Enterprise, Creative Services, and Media Relations teams to develop and refine content strategies.
- Ensure content aligns with the needs of target audiences.
- Advise on how to personalize experiences for specific audience segments.
- Collaborate with the Content Strategy Manager and Digital Content Specialist as well as technology colleagues to improve user experience across digital platforms.
Performance Metrics and Reporting
- Establish KPIs to track the success of content initiatives and engagement strategies. Work with technology colleagues to embed metrics and analytics collection across digital platforms.
- Monitor and report on KPIs regularly, offering recommendations for improving.tracking deliverables.
Competitor Analysis and Industry Trends
- Stay informed about industry trends, competitor activities, and best practices.
- Identify opportunities to differentiate and improve our approach.
Communication and Training
- Share audience insights and data-driven recommendations with stakeholders.
- Provide training to enhance audience understanding across the organization, including development of standards and techniques that can be re-used in Program-specific initiatives.
Knowledge, Education, and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field required.
- 7+ years of experience in audience research and data analysis, especially on content teams.
- Maintains expert proficiency with Google Analytics.
- Deep experience with reporting tools such as Supermetrics (or similar).
- Experience with Salesforce Marketing Cloud and Pardot analytics (preferred).
- Familiarity with audience measurement tools, market research methodologies, and social media listening platforms.
- Maintains excellent communication and presentation skills.
- Collaborative and can work across teams.
- Holds a passion for understanding human behavior, trends, and factors driving audience engagement.
- Highly proficient in data visualization and reporting tools.
- Prior experience in media, publishing, or related industries is a plus.
- Ability to move easily between strategy and execution.
- Maintains curiosity, empathy, hustle, and grit.
The Aspen Institute offers a generous benefits package including health, dental, vision, and prescription benefits, retirement benefits, and paid leave.
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.