India Chapter Communications Consultant
The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is a global nonprofit organization committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society. Since its founding in 1949, the Institute has been driving change through dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the most critical challenges facing communities in the United States and around the world. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Institute has a campus in Aspen, Colorado, and an international network of partners.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
To achieve our mission of a more free, just, and equitable society, we commit to working proactively to advance the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion across our myriad endeavors such as the recruitment, compensation, training, and advancement of staff. The best people-serving institutions make this commitment, and we seek to be a leader in the ways that we do so and learn from others. Visit our website to learn more about our commitment and recent actions taken toward building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive environment.
About Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE)
The Aspen Network of Development Entrepreneurs (ANDE) is a global network of organizations that propel entrepreneurship in developing economies. ANDE members provide critical financial, educational, and business support services to small and growing businesses (SGBs) based on the conviction that SGBs create jobs, stimulate long-term economic growth, and produce environmental and social benefits.
As the leading global voice of the SGB sector, ANDE believes that SGBs are a powerful yet underleveraged tool in addressing social and environmental challenges. Since 2009, ANDE has grown into a trusted network of nearly 300 collaborative members, representing a wide range of entrepreneurship support organizations, impact investors, researchers, donors, and others relevant to the Small and Growing Business sector that operate in nearly every developing economy. ANDE grows the body of knowledge, mobilizes resources, and connects the institutions that support the small business entrepreneurs who build inclusive prosperity in developing economies.
ANDE is part of the Aspen Institute, a global nonprofit organization committed to achieving a free, just, and equitable society.
ANDE is looking for a Communications Consultant for our India Chapter, based in our Bangalore office or remotely. This is a fixed term position budgeted at 40 hours a week.
Please note that this consultant position is contingent upon the successful approval and confirmation of grant funding.
This role will expose you to the small and growing business (SGB) and Impact Investing support sector in emerging markets and provide a variety of skill building opportunities including project management and communication. The individual will be part of a communications global team, responsible for supporting the regional chapter with
(1) Spearheading the chapter’s communication strategy, aligning chapter programming with global efforts and organization goals
(2) Ideating, curating and drafting the communications plan on a daily and monthly basis for the chapter’s multiple social media channels and the monthly newsletter
(3) Ideating and creating communication collateral (images, videos, infographics) to support chapter programs
(4) Drafting communications toolkits to support ANDE chapter events and programs curating and
(5) Supporting on operations related to communications at the chapter.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Each day will be different, but this role will provide exposure to a wide variety of skills and skill building opportunities, with certain skills being of priority importance.
The individual will be expected to:
- Ideate on innovative and creative ways to communicate the work that ANDE does at the chapter level – including but not limited to graphics, videos, blogs and more.
- Curate, compile, draft content for a monthly communications plan for chapter media channels (LinkedIn, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram) monitor social media analytics and generate regular reports.
- Manage external communication for ANDE events, articles, and updates, through social media and regular newsletters.
- Design visuals through Canva and be comfortable with writing captions for social media.
- Lead chapter communications and outreach; helping to create invites, announcements, and newsletters; and managing and updating contact lists in our Salesforce platform.
- Document ANDE India’s strategic sector convenings, for outreach and dissemination and ideate on ways the chapter can communicate updates.
It will also be good to have an interest and some experience in assisting in compiling knowledge offerings on the small & growing business sector in South Asia
Details About the Role
- 12-months contract- 40 hours a week (Fixed Term).
- Remote work, candidates will need to ensure availability that overlaps with the team’s working hours.
- Remuneration: 5.5-7 LPA (Remuneration will be based on the candidate’s profile and experience). Consultant will be responsible to pay taxes required by the Government of India.
- Preferred start date – at the earliest possible (September 2023)
Knowledge, Education, and Experience
The ideal candidate is:
- Someone with ~2-4 years work experience in a communications role in the development sector, communications firm, PR agency, or journalism.
- A graduate majoring in Communication, Journalism, Marketing and Public Relations, International Relations.
- Creative and detail oriented.
- Someone who has excellent prioritization & organizational skills, energy and initiative.
- Someone with excellent written communication skills.
- Someone who excels at multi-tasking with a focus on quality outputs.
- Knowledge of communication and design tools, social media management media relations and events management. Proficiency with software tools Hootsuit, Semrush, Campaign Monitor, AxiosHQ and Canva is desirable.
- Someone with Basic Microsoft Office knowledge - Word, Excel, Power Point; and Google Workspace.
- Interested in working in the entrepreneurship and social business sector;
- Experience working with other cultures (cross-cultural communication skills) is a plus;
- Inclination and interest in conducting literature reviews to shape regional knowledge offerings is a definite plus.
- Experience working for a global network of organizations in the entrepreneurial and the impact sector in emerging markets.
- Great opportunity to learn operations skills that are transferable across a variety of sectors.
- An opportunity to learn and connect with ecosystem actors – including investors, accelerators, corporations and foundations, and learn about the challenges and opportunities of the sector in India.
- Opportunity to collaborate with staff and members across the globe.
The candidate will self-identify with or even have worked in an environment previously that aligns with ANDE’s Values. At ANDE:
- We are motivated by the urgency of the global challenges we are trying to address.
- We embrace diverse experiences and perspectives.
- We value community and collaborative action.
- We leverage limited resources for maximum impact
How to Apply / Contact
Please submit a resume and cover letter to Saipriya at Saipriya.firstname.lastname@example.org. Maximum two (2) pages. Only complete applications with both resume and cover letter will be considered.
This position is open to all applicants, irrespective of geographical location. Applicants must have all necessary permissions to receive their consultancy fees in an Indian bank account.