Program Coordinator, City Innovation
The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is a global nonprofit organization committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society. Since its founding in 1949, the Institute has been driving change through dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the most critical challenges facing communities in the United States and around the world. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Institute has a campus in Aspen, Colorado, and an international network of partners.
Commitment to Diversity, Equity & Inclusion
To achieve our mission of a more free, just, and equitable society, we commit to working proactively to advance the principles of diversity, equity, and inclusion across our myriad endeavors such as the recruitment, compensation, training, and advancement of staff. The best people-serving institutions make this commitment, and we seek to be a leader in the ways that we do so and learn from others. Visit our website to learn more about our commitment and recent actions taken toward building and nurturing a diverse and inclusive environment.
Aspen Institute seeks an experienced program coordinator to assist with the expansion of Bloomberg CityLab to drive year-round dialogue and action on urban issues and solutions. Bloomberg CityLab, a project of the Aspen Institute and Bloomberg Philanthropies, is entering its 10th annual convening of artists, academics, funders, and other public and private sector leaders focused on improving cities and spreading urban strategies that work. Since 2013, CityLab has occurred in New York, Los Angeles, London, Miami, Paris, Detroit, Washington, DC, and Amsterdam. The multi-day gathering shares creative ideas and solutions with city leaders to create inclusive and thriving communities.
This new position will support the Director of City Innovation, Aspen Institute's existing partnership with the Government Innovation team at Bloomberg Philanthropies, and the Aspen Ideas team to develop and execute content for the annual Bloomberg CityLab event. Additionally, this position will help transition Bloomberg CityLab from an annual event into a year-round series of programming that connects city leaders around the world to the best, most innovative thinking on urban issues and solutions.
The ideal candidate brings an entrepreneurial and creative mindset with strong data and project management experience, and an appreciation for excellent customer service, problem solving, and teamwork.
A balance of remote and in-person work is expected for this position. The Program Coordinator will work at least two days in the Aspen Institute office in Washington, D.C. Staff is required to reside in the Washington D.C. metropolitan area prior to employment. Unfortunately, there are no relocation benefits. The Aspen Institute offers a generous benefits package including health, dental, vision, and prescription benefits, retirement benefits, and paid leave.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Bloomberg CityLab and year-round events:
- Plan and execute high-quality programming including seminars and receptions within budget parameters.
- Track and manage partner lists and invitations and communicate with all event participants.
- Track and synthesize data pertaining to event participants.
- Take notes during meetings with funders, consultants, Aspen staff, and external partners.
- Act as on-the-ground contact for attendees and speakers during CityLab and other year-round events or requests.
- Manage travel logistics for attendees and speakers with external partners, Aspen Institute staff, and/or consultants.
- Advise the City Innovation team on ways to improve events and initiatives.
Note: Occasionally longer hours would be expected from September to October.
Administrative and Operations:
- Maintain and organize all the team’s files in a manner that is readily accessible and clear.
- Support the Director with occasional meeting preparation.
- Regularly manages all program systems and platforms with latest information and data.
- Monitor program expenses to stay on track with approved budgets.
Marketing and Communications:
- Collaborate with staff and consultants to co-create compelling social media posts or other communication-related products.
- Develop and review content for periodic newsletters to be sent to external audiences.
- Occasionally draft talking points, develop presentations, and contribute to reports.
Knowledge, Education, and Experience:
- Commitment to equity, diversity, and inclusion within the Institute and in public programming.
- B.A. degree preferred.
- 3+ years relevant work experience.
- Advanced database and technological background. Preference for AirTable and Microsoft Excel experience.
- Exceptional organizational skills and strong attention to detail.
- Excellent written and oral communications skills.
- Advanced proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Google Suite.
- Basic proficiency in Adobe Creative Suite is a plus.
- Proven ability to learn new platforms efficiently and willingness to be trained in new systems.
- Demonstrated experience with project management, events planning, and a self-starter mentality.
- Demonstration of interest in current affairs and intellectual curiosity are a plus.
- Submit a resume and one-page (or less) cover letter addressing: What attracts you to this opportunity? Which of your skills most closely aligns with this position
- Interested candidates must apply through the website and applications will be kept confidential. All candidates will be considered equally; outreach outside of the application process is not encouraged.
Interview Process (Subject to change based on staff availability):
- 30-40 minute initial screening with City Innovation Program Manager and Director
- 30-40 minute discussion with one or two staff from Aspen Institute
- Three references to be contacted
The Aspen Institute offers a generous benefits package including health, dental, vision, and prescription benefits, retirement benefits, and paid leave.
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.