Director of Leadership Development (Africa), Global Leadership Accelerator
Teach for All
Teach For All is seeking a Leadership Director for our Global Leadership Accelerator, based in Africa or with significant experience living and working in Africa.
Teach For All grows collective leadership so that all children can fulfill their potential. Our Global Leadership Accelerator aims to grow the leadership of tens of thousands of leaders who are working to reimagine education around the world. This includes hundreds of social entrepreneurs supporting 15,000+ teachers currently in classrooms, and close to 90,000 alumni leaders, reaching millions of children in 60 countries and growing.
The Global Leadership Accelerator is working to cultivate deeply conscious leaders who, grounded in a clear sense of purpose, are capable of working in deep partnership with many others to disrupt inequitable systems and imagine new ways forward.
You will join an entrepreneurial team to accelerate the leadership and impact of thousands of incredible organizational leaders, teachers, and alumni leaders around the world who are reimagining education. You will play a key role in designing transformative leadership experiences and coaching leaders across Africa, as well as within our global network. You will report directly to the Head of the Global Leadership Accelerator.
The ideal candidate has a strong track record in coaching and developing senior executive leaders, thrives in an enterprising and collaborative environment, demonstrates an orientation to leadership that is collective and equity-centered, and brings expertise in leadership and organizational development.
As the Leadership Director at Teach For All, you will:
- Be responsible for designing, delivering, and scaling leadership programs in the Africa region, with opportunities for global work as well. Examples of initiatives could look like:
- Design and deliver an Executive Leadership Program in Africa to support senior leaders to grow their leadership capacities (e.g., navigating conflict, lead organizational culture)
- Coach senior leaders in a 1:1 setting or in peer coaching groups to challenge limiting mindsets, develop new leadership capacities, and unlock their full potential
- Support our network partner organizations in Africa to pilot new ways of working (e.g., non-hierarchical, agile, collaborative) that foster collective leadership
- Contribute to scaling our global suite of leadership programs that grow equity-centered & trauma-informed leadership within the Africa region
- Collaborate with our Global Learning Lab to grow the leadership of thousands of teachers across our network in line with our latest research from transformational classrooms
- Day-to-day responsibilities may include:
- Partnering with others across the organization (e.g., regional teams) to diagnose the top leadership needs of key stakeholders (e.g., CEOs, senior leaders, managers)
- Serving as a leadership coach for senior leaders
- Co-designing the vision & scope for new leadership development programs
- Facilitating in-person and virtual workshops
- Leading project teams to manage the delivery of in-person & online leadership programs from ideation to execution (e.g., design, develop, deliver, evaluate)
- Engaging with colleagues on the Global Leadership Accelerator team to share insights, continually learn together, and strengthen the impact of the Accelerator
You will show demonstrated strengths in many of the areas below, and will also be able to provide an honest self-assessment of where you need further support.
- At least 10-15 years of experience in management or leadership development and/or organizational development; proven track record of diagnosing & solving complex problems; experience working in entrepreneurial environments is highly desirable
- Demonstrated experience working with and coaching senior leaders and/or leading teams
- Additional experience in one or more of the following areas will be highly preferable: adult learning & development, systems leadership, community organizing, diversity, equity & inclusion, agile or adaptive leadership, classroom and/or school leadership
- Expertise in designing and facilitating in-person and online learning experiences
- Self-starter with superior project management skills who is able to manage across multiple streams of work; thrives in a high-energy, entrepreneurial, and constantly evolving environment
- Strong relationship management skills; able to work collaboratively and flexibly with colleagues globally, including a high volume of virtual engagement (i.e., conference calls, social media, virtual collaboration tools) and regular calls during non-traditional working hours
- Experience with ways of working that center diversity, equity, and inclusiveness, and fosters the leadership of all staff members
- Exemplifies Teach For All’s core values and a commitment to Teach For All’s mission:
- Reflects a sense of possibility in mindset and vision
- Believes in the value of being locally rooted and globally informed
- Drives toward constant learning and improvement
- Convinced of the necessity of diversity and inclusiveness in our work
- Believes in the interdependence between us and our partners in solving this global problem
- Based in Africa, or significant experience working and living in Africa required
- Willingness and ability to reside and work (authorization) in region long-term required
What Teach For All Offers:
- Commitment to cultivating a culture in which all staff members feel they belong, are valued for their contributions, and have an impact on our organization’s progress
- Professional and personal development experiences and ample opportunities to make a positive impact on the work of Teach For All and beyond
- Comprehensive benefits package designed for your well-being and work-life needs
- All roles are 100% remote; in some locations we offer the option for in-office collaborations
- Generous time off and flexible work arrangements
- And much more!
If this opportunity sounds like the next best step in your career, please submit your resume or curriculum vitae (CV) and a one-page letter of motivation (in English) directly online. Your letter should summarize your motivation for applying and how your skills and experience align with this opportunity. We look forward to learning about you and your passion for ensuring educational opportunity for all!
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Therefore, candidates are encouraged to apply at their earliest convenience.
Please note, this position is not eligible for employment visa sponsorship. All candidates must possess permanent local work authorization/permit in the locations stated above in order to be considered.
Salary for this position is competitive and dependent on country of hire and prior work experience and includes a comprehensive benefits package.
Travel and Hours
This position is part of a remote and globally distributed team, with other team members working across the globe.. Given that we work across different time zones, some non-traditional hours for early or later calls are expected in this role. Some global and regional travel is likely when it is safe to do so and in accordance with local travel guidelines.
About Teach For All
Teach For All is a global network of 60 independent, locally led and governed partner organizations and a global organization committed to developing collective leadership to ensure all children fulfill their potential. Each network partner recruits and develops promising future leaders to teach in their nations’ under-resourced schools and communities and, with this foundation, to work with others, inside and outside of education, to ensure all children are able to fulfill their potential. Teach For All’s global organization works to increase the network’s impact by capturing and spreading learning, facilitating connections among partners, accessing global resources, and fostering the leadership development of partner staff, teachers, and alumni.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusiveness
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization that inspires individuals of all backgrounds – across nationalities, races, ethnicity, religions, political views, economic backgrounds, sexual orientations, physical disabilities, languages, ages, genders and prior experiences – to bring their full selves to the work of ensuring educational opportunity for all.
In order to maximize our effectiveness in fulfilling Teach For All’s mission, we also feel it is important to focus on increasing representation and inclusiveness with respect to two dimensions in particular: we prioritize diversity of geography because this can help us quickly understand and connect with the diverse cultures and geographies of the world. We also prioritize increasing the representation and inclusiveness of team members who themselves have experienced the inequities we’re working to address by nature of sharing the background (e.g. economic, racial and ethnic, religious) of the most disadvantaged groups in their countries.