Head of Region, Asia-Pacific
Teach For All
Job Posting Date: April 26, 2023
The global Teach For All network is looking for an experienced, visionary leader to grow its presence and impact across its expansive, diverse Asia Pacific region.
As Head of Region - Asia Pacific, you will develop and advance the vision and strategy for Teach For All’s engagement across the region. This includes building awareness and developing relationships with external stakeholders to create an environment conducive to the growth and impact of the Teach For All network across the region, and deepening the learning, impact, and community among the region’s existing network of partner organizations and their staff members, teachers, alumni and allies. The Head of Region will lead a strong and experienced regional team of staff members who are based in remote work locations across the region and work in close collaboration with global colleagues around the world.
Teach For All’s Asia Pacific region spans across Central Asia, South Asia, Southeast Asia, East and North Asia, and the Pacific. It currently includes 14 partner organizations, in diverse contexts ranging from Afghanistan to Aotearoa New Zealand, as well as 5 prospective partners.
The Head of Region - Asia Pacific role is an exceptional opportunity for an individual with superior leadership, relational, strategic, and communication skills. The right candidate will have a proven ability to set vision, build culture, influence results through others, cultivate deep, trusting relationships, and make strategic decisions that drive impact. The Head of Region will have deep experience living and working in the region, a strong orientation to diversity, equity and inclusiveness, and will report into the CEO of Teach For All. Role-specific outcomes include the following:
- Network partner CEOs and teams are highly engaged and well-connected with each other and the network overall, as measured by our annual partner survey and through ongoing assessments of individual partnership plans and partner engagement data
- Growth in aggregate impact across the region, as demonstrated by relevant measures for our intended outcomes (see below)
- Growth in external awareness, regional funding partnerships, and strategic relationships with external partners
- Prospective network partners launch strong, sustainable, and aligned local organizations that are deeply rooted in Teach For All’s unifying theory of change
As Head of Region - Asia Pacific you will also be working in collaboration with your team, with global colleagues, and with network partners to accelerate and increase the impact of the Teach For All network across the Asia Pacific region towards the global vision and intended outcomes of the Teach For All network:
- Growing aggregate progress for children within the communities where we work
- Scaling the force of diverse and extraordinary leaders committed to teaching and long-term leadership towards our vision
- Reorienting teaching and learning so students are developing holistically as leaders who can shape a better future
- Developing a deeply interconnected regional and global community so network staff members, teachers and alumni are learning from and supporting each other
- Elevating perspectives from across the network to inform regional and global discussion and policy
About the Team
The Teach For All Asia Pacific team is a regionally distributed team with team members working remotely across diverse countries in the region, currently including India, Hong Kong, Bangladesh, Singapore, Philippines and New Zealand. The team is comprised primarily of staff members responsible for our engagement with prospective partners and partner organizations.
Regional Leadership & Strategy (60%)
- Establish, evolve, and drive execution of the regional vision, strategy and priorities for engagement with current Teach For All network partners and prospective partners across Asia Pacific, working in close collaboration with the regional team and partner CEOs
- Establish, evolve, and drive execution of the region’s external affairs strategy and priorities, contributing to a strong regional ecosystem conducive to the growth and impact of the network across Asia Pacific, working in close collaboration with global colleagues, the regional team, partner CEOs, and key regional stakeholders
- Identify and act upon key regional opportunities including but not limited to fundraising, public sector and multilateral engagements, as well as strategic partnerships
- Build and cultivate trusting and effective personal and institutional relationships with key internal and external stakeholders, establishing credibility and influence among internal and external stakeholders, institutions and networks relevant to advancing the progress of the Teach For All network across the region
- Facilitate connections, learning, and leadership development experiences for and among current and prospective partner CEOs and leadership teams, strategically making decisions about how to best employ network resources and foster connections that drive impact
- Support and consult with partner CEOs, their leadership teams, and the leaders of prospective partners, to build capacity and improve impact, both directly and indirectly through regional team leadership and coaching, as well as strategic leveraging of global specialists and resources
Team Leadership (30%)
- In collaboration with the regional team, establish, evolve, and drive execution of regional team vision and priorities in alignment with Teach For All’s core purpose, values, vision, intended outcomes, and our organizational ways of operating
- Coach and mentor a high-performing, geographically distributed and remote team of 6-8 staff members to ensure continued high performance, leadership development, culture and effective allocation of financial and human resources
- Hire, onboard and manage team and individual performance to maintain a strong and highly effective team, working in close collaboration with global colleagues
- Ensure effective systems and structures to communicate, collaborate, and access the tools needed for daily work and impact
Contribute to Teach For All’s Organizational Strategy (10%)
- Work with the CEO, other regional heads, and global team leads to inform the culture, priorities and resource allocation of the global organization
- Collaborate with Teach For All global hiring managers and the talent acquisition team to support global talent recruitment efforts across the Asia Pacific region, working in close collaboration with the regional team and regional network partners
- At least 15 years of leadership experience, including at least 5 years of work experience in the Asia Pacific region
- A well-rounded career trajectory demonstrating a breadth of experience across various contexts that will enable you to bring unique perspectives, creative problem-solving skills, and adaptability to our dynamic work environment
- Experience having managed, supported a coached a high-performing and highly engaged team
- Experience working in and/or closely with individuals and institutions across multiple country contexts in the region, and proven ability to deeply understand and navigate within distinct and diverse contexts quickly
- Proven ability to lead effectively to increase representation and inclusivity; sensitivity to racial, cultural and ideological diversity, including power and privilege dynamics
- Proven ability to be highly visionary and strategic, and to be generative and independently driven towards outcomes, demonstrating flexibility to shift priorities when needed as the work evolves
- Exceptional relationship building skills, including the ability to listen with curiosity, build rapport and engage effectively with individuals and organizations from a diversity of backgrounds, contexts, and working styles
- Exceptional communication skills, including the ability to understand, influence and motivate others through both formal and informal authority, across a wide diversity of contexts, cultures, and communication styles
- Belief and ability to lead in alignment with Teach For All’s core purpose, values, vision, intended outcomes, unifying principles and theory of change
- Professional fluency in English (required); professional fluency in one or more additional languages from across the region (strongly preferred)
What Teach For All Offers:
- Commitment to cultivating a culture in which all staff members feel they belong, are valued for their contributions, and have an impact on our organization’s progress
- Professional and personal development experiences and ample opportunities to make a positive impact on the work of Teach For All and beyond
- Comprehensive benefits package designed for your well-being and work-life needs
- All roles are 100% remote; in some locations we offer the option for in-office collaborations
- Generous time off and flexible work arrangements
- And much more!
If this opportunity sounds like the next best step in your career, please submit your resume or curriculum vitae (CV) and a one-page letter of motivation, in English, directly online. Your letter should summarize motivations for your application and how your skills and experience align with the terms of this opportunity. We look forward to learning about you and your passion for ensuring educational opportunity for all!
Applications are reviewed on a rolling basis. Therefore, candidates are encouraged to apply at their earliest convenience.
Please note, this position is not eligible for employment visa sponsorship. All candidates must possess permanent local work authorization/permit in order to be considered.
Salary for this position is competitive and dependent on country of hire and prior work experience and includes a comprehensive benefits package.
Travel and Hours
This role involves significant travel (up to 60%), both regionally and globally. Given the geographically distributed locations of team members and global organization colleagues, some non-traditional working hours are an expectation of this role (accommodating early or late calls when necessary for live collaboration).
About Teach For All
Teach For All is a global network of more than 60 independent, locally led and governed partner organizations and a global organization brought together by the purpose of developing collective leadership to ensure all children fulfill their potential. Each network partner recruits and develops promising future leaders to teach in their nations’ under-resourced schools and communities and, with this foundation, to work with others, inside and outside of education, to ensure all children are able to fulfill their potential. Teach For All’s global organization works to increase the network’s impact by capturing and spreading learning, facilitating connections among partners, accessing global resources, and fostering the leadership development of partner staff, teachers, and alumni.
Our Commitment to Diversity and Inclusiveness
We are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organization that inspires individuals of all backgrounds – across nationalities, races, ethnicity, religions, political views, economic backgrounds, sexual orientations, physical disabilities, languages, ages, genders and prior experiences – to bring their full selves to the work of ensuring educational opportunity for all.
In order to maximize our effectiveness in fulfilling Teach For All’s mission, we also feel it is important to focus on increasing representation and inclusiveness with respect to two dimensions in particular: we prioritize diversity of geography because this can help us quickly understand and connect with the diverse cultures and geographies of the world. We also prioritize increasing the representation and inclusiveness of team members who themselves have experienced the inequities we’re working to address by nature of sharing the background (e.g. economic, racial and ethnic, religious) of the most disadvantaged groups in their countries.
Something looks off?