Facilities Coordinator - SPARK Schools Support - 2024
About SPARK Schools
SPARK Schools is a social impact disruptor and is leading change in the education space through its network of affordable private schools. The SPARK Schools network provides transformational education innovation through Africa’s first blended learning model, which elevates student achievement and provides the tools teachers need to serve their students effectively.
The blended learning model, which combines classroom teaching and online instruction, allows teachers to anticipate student needs and equips schools to provide personalized education at an affordable cost. SPARK Schools is pioneering this transformative education model to ensure the accessibility of university and careers for all.
SPARK Schools is a high growth, mission and values-driven entrepreneurial organisation, operating 21 primary schools,5 high schools and serving over 15,500 families in 2024. We are looking for dynamic people to join our team.
Purpose of Role:
The purpose of the Facilities Coordinator role is to service SPARK School sites building-related activities and operations. This service includes preserving the good condition of infrastructure, while ensuring that all facilities and surrounding environments are safe, well-functioning, up-to-date, and enable employees and scholars to work productively. In addition, the Facilities Coordinator is also responsible for leading and growing a team of skilled and competent staff, whilst championing the SPARK culture and brand in all stakeholder interactions. The Facilities Coordinator serves as the central point of contact for the management and administration of service delivery to schools. This role works closely with the Health & Safety Officers, Project Managers and school leaders.
This is a position for a person who has a mature, realistic, understanding of their capabilities and who has the confidence in their ability to deliver against demanding expectations.
Reports To: Operations Manager
- Inspect school buildings and determine the need for renovations / repairs.
- Ensure building and workspaces comply with Occupational Health & Safety Act.
- Ensure that workspaces accommodate employee needs according to SANS standards.
- Ensure maintenance of buildings by requesting repairs or contracting maintenance services as needed in a cost-effective manner.
- Ensure vehicle(s) is serviced and maintained as required.
- Liaise with internal team members and landscaping suppliers to ensure that buildings, facilities and surrounding areas are neat, tidy and maintained to the agreed upon standard.
- Conduct reactive, proactive, and preventative maintenance to sites and equipment.
- Liaise with school leadership teams should any work requiring closures or adjustment to schedules need to take place.
- When required, put in place contingency plans for any work requiring a change in schedule / routine.
- Come up with innovative solutions and/or ideas for facilities improvement and beautification.
- Create and maintain an asset register for portfolio.
- Ensure maintenance of small portable equipment is done to appropriate standards.
- Conduct vehicle checks on a regular basis, and flag any identified problems, services due, etc, in a timely manner.
- Be the first respondent to any building-related emergencies.
- Investigate utilities consumption reported by Property Manager/Operations Manager and strive to minimize costs.
- Draft and submit monthly maintenance reports.
- Set up and improve processes which facilitate everyday operations.
- Manage SPARK’s service desk system for the facilities portfolio.
- Administer and allocate tickets, tasks and requests to the appropriate personnel
- Ensure all logged tickets are resolved and attended to within agreed SLAs.
- Update tickets timeously and follow up on any outstanding tickets to understand any issues or delays that may be experienced.
- Manage external service providers and contractors, including their adherence to agreed SLAs.
- Ensure that all outsourced services are administered according to the service level agreements and service catalogue.
- Maintain ongoing communication with contractors, clients, and team. This includes conducting supplier meetings termly, or according to the needs and relationship with the supplier.
- Regularly communicate and liaise with each site’s School Operations Manager (SOM) to keep abreast of the facilities portfolio and day-to-day operations.
- Create and maintain excellent relations with all stakeholders including Municipal Officials and other officials from regulatory authorities.
- Build and nurture existing and new client relationships to ensure ongoing satisfaction and effectiveness (incl. landlords and schools)..
- Ensure that an appropriate number of quotations (approx. 2 - 3) are obtained prior to approving costing/quotations. Work to negotiate the best possible costing.
- Review quotations carefully to ensure the correct costings are received on all quotations.
- Payment management: Ensure monthly supplier invoices and credit card costs are uploaded on time.