High School Principal - SPARK Midrand High School - 2023/2024
Watch our Vision Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hOU0TYnNsZo
Take a tour of our Website: https://sparkschools.co.za/
SPARK Schools is a social impact disruptor and is leading change in the education space through its network of affordable private schools. The SPARK Schools network provides transformational education innovation through Africa’s first blended learning model, which elevates student achievement and provides the tools teachers need to serve their students effectively.
The blended learning model, which combines classroom teaching and online instruction, allows teachers to anticipate student needs and equips schools to provide personalized education at an affordable cost. SPARK Schools is pioneering this transformative education model to ensure the accessibility of university and careers for all.
SPARK Schools is a high growth, mission and values-driven entrepreneurial organisation, operating 20 primary schools, 4 high schools and serving over 15,000 families in 2023. We are looking for dynamic people to join our team.
Purpose of Role:
The Principal drives student achievement by leading a team of excellent staff to prepare SPARK scholars for university and beyond. The Principal sets a rigorous vision for student achievement and implements strategic steps to lead staff, families, students, and the greater community to fulfill that vision. The Principal collaborates with the Assistant Principal(s) and Operations and Blended Learning Manager to uphold high expectations for school culture, student achievement, and professional development.
The Principal drives decision making within the SPARK Schools model in terms of the instructional program and school operations to ensure that every SPARK scholar is academically successful and an excellent representative of the SPARK core values. The Principal is integral to the SPARK Schools “culture” and our commitment to rigorous, engaging learning experiences for our scholars.
Reports To: High School Product Manager
- Create and maintain a school culture that values high achievement, strong character, and a love for learning.
- Implement a highly rigorous and engaging instructional program that promotes content mastery, creative problem solving, and character development, which is consistent with SPARK Schools’ mission and vision.
- Use quantitative (assessment) and qualitative (anecdotal) data to drive decision-making and instruction at the school.
- Set ambitious goals, academically and otherwise, and holds staff and students accountable for achieving those results.
- Manage behaviour policy, student behaviour and oversee the implementation of individualised plans for students who repeatedly do not meet SPARK Schools’ behavioural expectations.
- Promote a culture of self-reflection and continual improvement of effectiveness in staff:
- Facilitate the professional development of SPARK staff by keeping a consistent weekly observation and coaching cycle and collaborating with SPARK Support staff to provide relevant weekly professional development sessions.
- Conduct termly evaluations of SPARK staff to nurture their professional growth and leadership capacities.
- Facilitate a high-achieving work environment where staff feel genuinely valued and supported.
- Build relationships with all relevant stakeholders, including parents, families, greater community, and Department of Basic Education, and leverage these relationships to increase student achievement:
- Lead termly and monthly school-wide community events, leveraging the capacity of the school leadership team, teachers, and active parents for support.
- Lead the process for achieving accreditation with Umalusi for the delivery of National Senior Certificate examinations.
- Lead the process for administering National Senior Certificate examinations and relevant district and provincial standardised examinations.
- Manage the Instructional Assistant Principal(s) including an Operational Assistant Principal and facilitate their leadership development in the context of SPARK’s network-wide leadership development program.
- Participate in the selection of new school based personnel.
- Responsible for the onboarding of all new staff members.
- Define and share information about policies and procedures to parents, students, staff and community.
- Participate actively in staff development opportunities as a member of the SPARK Schools team.
- Conduct self in a professional manner at all SPARK Schools events and to all stakeholders.
- Manage the school financial budget.
Qualifications and Criteria:
The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications and criteria:
- At least 3-4 years of excellent classroom instruction including Grade 12 teaching experience
- At least two years in high school leadership
- Experience and practice with labour laws
- Experience and practice with Umalusi accreditation and National Senior Certificate examination administration
- Preferred qualifications and criteria
- English language fluency
- Grade 12 Certificate
- Completed B.Ed or PGCE degree (SP & FET)
- Honours or a Masters qualification advantageous
- SACE registration
- Clear criminal record
- Grit: Persistence through challenges.
- Excellence: A track record of high expectations personally and professionally.
- Mission and Vision Alignment: Understanding of and passion for the SPARK Schools mission to provide excellent education at an affordable cost.
- Self Reflection: Finding the capacity to bring your best self to challenges and opportunities.
Values: Service, Persistence, Achievement, Responsibility, Kindness
- fair market linked remuneration
- performance-based annual bonuses and increases
- above average/good annual leave
- life, disability and funeral cover
- employee wellness support
- educational support & study leave
- individualised professional development, support and mentorship
- employee discount on school fees
- opportunities for career growth
Compensation: Commensurate with experience and market related.
Position Type: Full Time
Location: Midrand, Gauteng
- SPARK Midrand High
SPARK schools is an equal opportunities employer and preference will be given to candidates from designated groups with due consideration of the company’s Employment Equity goals and targets.
SPARK schools encourages persons with disabilities to apply.
SPARK Schools may expire the posting of this advertisement at their own discretion.
Kindly note that should you have not heard from us within two weeks of the closing date please consider your application unsuccessful.