Senior Business Intelligence Engineer
Who We Are - About NewGlobe
NewGlobe is working with visionary governments around the world to dramatically improve the quality of basic education. Founded in 2007, we partner with governments to provide integrated school management, teacher professional development, instructional design innovation, technological system support, child-centered classroom practice, and parent engagement -- all grounded in learning science -- to ensure each teacher is empowered to engage children in transformational learning, Our data-driven approach has been validated by a Nobel-winning researcher and recognition by international leaders in Education. We imagine a world where all children can access an education that unlocks their full potential.
We need bright minds who want to be part of building a new globe -- a more equitable globe -- to join us. More information: newglobe.education
Technology plays a critical role enabling us to provide transformative education at massive scale in highly resource constrained environments. This is one of the key elements that gives us the ability to deliver radically impactful programmes, creating brighter futures for a generation of children across the world each day. Technology spans several key functions, including product management, business intelligence, software development and IT operations.Working with us, passionate technologists have a chance to directly change the world.
About the Role
We have reached an inflection point where we need to take our data game to the next level. Instead of just providing data to our various departments, we need to start bringing to bear more sophisticated techniques to unlock the potential of our significant data sets. While we collect hundreds of thousands of data points every day from each of our programmes – from the time each teacher spends on each page of every lesson to every pupil’s answer to every question of every assessment – we are yet to fully realise the potential energy of these data sets.
On a technical level, this shift means moving beyond traditional approaches to data engineering, replacing ETL batch processing and data warehousing with event-driven real-time data pipelines and a distributed data mesh; on an organisational level, it means reimagining business intelligence as a skill set embedded in our cross-functional delivery teams, not as a separate team with separate priorities and timelines. And it also means transforming the ways that we expose the data to our users, providing richer, more actionable interfaces.
The Senior Engineer will help to lead the charge on this transformation, bringing experience to bear, both on the systems themselves, as well as mentoring and developing other team members.
This role reports to the Business Intelligence Lead, but will routinely be embedded in cross-functional delivery teams, working collaboratively to deliver our next generation data products.
What You Will Do
- Build next generation event-driven data processing pipelines that cleanse, enrich, and aggregate a range of different data sets as part of a globally distributed and cross-functional software development organisation
- Deploy these data pipelines in line with continuous delivery practices and principles
- Improve the scalability, stability, accuracy, and efficiency of our existing data platform - it’s not all just green field!
- Develop and mentor other members of the business intelligence department
- Monitor our data platforms in order to identify and resolve issues and ensure high-availability of data insights
- Communicate with stakeholders to develop requirements, implement solutions, and collaborate on rollouts
What You Should Have
- 5+ years of enterprise work experience in business intelligence, data engineering, and advanced analytics
- 2+ years of commercial, enterprise experience building data pipelines using Apache Spark and Python (future platform). Familiarity using these tools to consume data from RabbitMQ or Kafka is a plus.
- Experience with one or more types of NoSQL databases and data lakes
- Comfort with version control and continuous delivery
- Familiarity with relational databases, ETL, and reporting tools. Preference for Microsoft technologies (we currently use Microsoft SQL Server 2016/2019, SSIS, and SSRS)
- Fluency with warehouse design and dimension modelling (star schemas, snowflakes, etc)
- Experience or interest in results-driven, lean/agile environments
- Basic DBA skills
- Ability to prioritize and execute tasks in a fast-paced environment
What We Offer
- The opportunity to make a difference for children every day at a proven, internationally recognized, mission-driven company.
- Flexible hybrid working arrangement.
- Take the lead and help us grow our engineering team
- The opportunity to work on challenging and innovative projects
Values of Successful Employees at NewGlobe
We are looking for new joiners who are energized by our mission and share our values.
Detailed doers, creative problem-solvers, relentless advocates, malleable learners, data-driven decision-makers and curious investigators do well at NewGlobe. Learn more about our values and how to succeed as a job-seeker at NewGlobe on our LinkedIn page.
What to Expect from the Interview Process
We have a rigorous, merit based hiring process. The process is designed to simulate the essential parts of the job and introduce you to your role in the business should you join our team. Apply via our website.
We will never ask for payment as part of the interview process and we are committed to a fair process free of discrimination based on gender, race, ethnicity, citizenship or disability.