Upper Science Specialist, Instructional Design
Working Configuration: Hybrid (3+ days a week in office)
Office Location: Cambridge, MA
Reports To: Director of Secondary Program Quality, Instructional Design
Who We Are - About NewGlobe
NewGlobe is working with visionary governments around the world to dramatically improve the quality of basic education. Founded in 2007, we partner with governments to provide integrated school management, teacher professional development, instructional design innovation, technological system support, child-centered classroom practice, and parent engagement -- all grounded in learning science -- to ensure each teacher is empowered to engage children in transformational learning, Our data-driven approach has been validated by a Nobel-winning researcher and recognition by international leaders in Education. We imagine a world where all children can access an education that unlocks their full potential.
NewGlobe’s work is all encompassing and will challenge you to use your full mind, and heart, each day. We need bright minds who want to be part of building a new globe -- a more equitable globe -- to join us. More information: newglobe.education
About the Role
The Secondary Programs team supports the learning of students in grades 6-12. Secondary students must meet rigorous national standards and pass high-stakes exams in order to continue their education and secure strong futures. Meeting these goals involves closing learning gaps, often in the sciences.
Astonishing numbers of secondary students struggle with basic numeracy, literacy, and science skills.We are building a set of instructional materials (core sequences) for older students to master foundational and high-frequency science skills and content. This program will be developmentally appropriate, no-frills, and focused on getting students to grade-level.. As the Science Specialist, you will author this program.
In addition to this program, the upper science specialist will create new grade-level secondary math courses according to the standards of various syllabi. Complex science demands highly efficient instruction, practice, and assessments. Ensuring that these structures are in place is essential to fostering learning. To this end, you will design effective instruction in chemistry, physics, biology and similar topics.
What You Will Do
- Analyze the curriculum of multiple partner countries to identify common global objectives in science courses.
- Develop base curriculums for a variety of higher level science courses (e.g.chemical equations, disease prevention, physics) that could be adapted for use in multiple contexts.
- Support teams working on secondary science courses by creating and maintaining feedback and improvement loops.
- Collaborate with other Academic Groups members to improve mathematical instruction across secondary programs.
What You Should Have
- At bachelor’s degree in chemistry, physics, biology, ecology, or a related field (master’s preferred)
- A minimum of 5 years of experience in education, with 3-5 including teaching science at the secondary level
- Experience writing and/or publishing curriculum and aligning it to standards, assessments, etc.
- Strong desire to lead projects and provide feedback, experience in instructional coaching or management
- Ability to balance multiple projects at once while setting and meeting priority deadlines
What We Offer
- Opportunity for impact: The Instructional Design department as a whole directly impacts the experiences of over one million children
- Flexible hybrid working arrangement.
- Health + Dental insurance
- 20 paid leave days (excluding public holidays) and 6 sick days
- Career Mobility: Needs within the organization are growing rapidly. Mobility to other teams is welcomed!
Values of Successful Employees at NewGlobe
We are looking for new joiners who are energized by our mission and share our values.
Detailed doers, creative problem-solvers, relentless advocates, malleable learners, data-driven decision-makers and curious investigators do well at NewGlobe. Learn more about our values and how to succeed as a job-seeker at NewGlobe // Bridge on our LinkedIn page.
What to Expect from the Interview Process
We have a rigorous, merit based hiring process. The process is designed to simulate the essential parts of the job and introduce you to your role in the business should you join our team. Apply via our website.
A brief online assessment and personality inventoryA screening interview with a member of the TA teamA functional interview with the reporting managerA values interview with a member of the hiring team A reference check
We are committed to a fair process free of discrimination based on gender, race, ethnicity, citizenship or disability.