Manager, Leadership and Development
Who We Are
NewGlobe supports visionary governments to transform public education systems, the cornerstone of a prosperous, equitable, and peaceful society.
With a comprehensive system transformation platform and data-driven educational services, NewGlobe delivers rapid and dramatic improvements in learning outcomes at state and nationwide scale. Through building impactful partnerships and programmes, NewGlobe ensures that all children have access to an education that will develop their full potential and create a foundation for growth and prosperity.
NewGlobe leverages more than a decade of educational experience and proven impact in integrated school management, teacher professional development, instructional design innovation, technological system support, child-centered classroom practice, and parent engagement -- all grounded in learning science -- to ensure each teacher is empowered to engage children in transformational learning, and all children have the opportunity to develop to their full potential. Every day, NewGlobe supports governments to solve what were once seen as intractable problems, and by doing so, ensures this generation will be able to grow up to lead more fulfilled lives, while simultaneously building economic prosperity for themselves, their communities, and the globe.
NewGlobe’s high-touch, intensive professional development programs, along with integrated school management, teacher support, and assessment software, enable schools to succeed. NewGlobe works within state and national curriculum and syllabi, ensuring all children are empowered to learn their own history, and master local content, while being globally competitive in mathematics and languages. The science of behaviour change and the science of learning is at the foundation of all programming.
NewGlobe works with urgency because youth quickly becomes adulthood and relentlessly because improvement requires continuous problem-solving. NewGlobe is honoured to serve and to help rebuild trust in public systems.
NewGlobe’s work is all encompassing and will challenge you to use your full mind, and heart, each day. We need bright minds who want to be part of building a new globe -- a more equitable globe -- to join us.
Schools are the heart of our work. The team is mandated to inspire teachers to teach with passion, pupils to learn with purpose, parents to believe in a better future for their children, and communities to become the change they want to see in the world. To achieve this vision, the team ensures schools are smoothly run - the school team is motivated and inspired, delivering life-changing lessons, creating an experience that makes parents stay with us, and also cultivating interest and excitement in our work in communities where we serve. Schools are responsible for ensuring all of the work created by our expert teams, including Instructional Design, Leadership & Development, Technology, Communications, Creative and Insight, are used in each school, and each school is managed to achieve its goal of ensuring every child enjoys a learning environment that develops her core skills, knowledge and confidence. The performance of the entire organisation is led by the Schools Group, which is responsible for the day-to-day management of each school. Schools work to strengthen school enrolment and student retention, ensuring every school is regarded as the strongest school in its neighbourhood and delivers improved learning outcomes for children, and earns the trust of the parents. We engage with school leaders and teachers every day, ensuring ongoing professional development, performance management, and intensive coaching. We are always seeking effective ways of ensuring every school is supported with data-driven practices. We measure our success through both the financial sustainability of the school and the learning outcomes of the children in the classroom. We are performance-driven.
Leadership and Development
In joining the Leadership & Development (L&D) team you are joining the department charged with the holistic development of our school staff. We ensure that our front line staff are exceptional leaders who are in turn, energized and empowered to provide the students in their communities and classrooms with a life-changing education.
The Leadership & Development Department ensures that each school we support is staffed with talented and passionate teachers and school leaders who will dedicate themselves to the development and learning of each child in their care. Leadership & Development ensures all school staff are fully aware of the principles that guide our Schools Group and Academics Department, including but not limited to school management practices and policies, theory of instructional design and structured pedagogy, core subject content knowledge, importance of a positive learning environment, classroom management techniques, use of technology for teaching and school management, need for parent communication and involvement, and regulatory or government engagement. We are responsible for both induction training of school staff new to the schools or programs we support, as well as for ongoing professional development throughout the school year. We use data from our school staff’s performance and student learning to drive the design of our induction and ongoing professional development, for both the year ahead, and for real-time interventions in school management or teachers’ practice by the Schools Group. We also support data-driven analysis of teacher and school leader performance. We know we have succeeded when each teacher, and each school is delivering on the promise of every child learning.
About the Role
Delivery excellence, integrity, quality and systematization are all part of ensuring successful implementation of induction training and on-going professional development. You will work closely with the Leadership & Development Department, Shared Services, who lead the design of induction training and professional development sessions delivered in each territory.
As an individual contributor, the Leadership & Development Manager will project manage all residential and/or induction training sessions for school staff, both school leaders and teachers. The complexity of this cannot be understated -- in a given year there may be 6-9 rounds of induction training each with 1500-2000 teachers and school leaders, managing 50 support office staff to deliver these trainings. The importance of success of this training cannot be understated -- it is the foundation for success of all of our programming, by ensuring that each teacher and school leader leaves training with a new vision for their school and classroom, new practices for classroom management, new understanding of structured pedagogy and its use, and knowledge of critical school management practices. In short, at the end of induction training to the program, each teacher and school leader should be excited and confident to bring significant positive change to his or her classroom and school. As a collaborator, the Leadership & Development Manager will be responsible for coordinating with Shared Services Leadership & Development on the content of induction training and ongoing scheduled professional development modules, and manage direct reports in this production and collaboration. In addition, the Leadership & Development Manager will work directly with the Schools Director to use performance and behavioral data of school leaders and teachers to smartly deliver time-sensitive “refresher” training on core modules and/or custom or newly designed content for Supervisors of schools to use in school-based training and coaching. Finally, as a manager, the Leadership & Development Manager will ensure that members of the Leadership & Development team in the territory have a clear work plan, and are productively working in tandem to generate achievement in schools. The Leadership & Development Manager will during times of large-scale induction training manage Supervisors, School Management to deliver training in concert with the vision of Leadership & Development. It is your job to train, mentor, and evaluate every person leading a training classroom each step of the way, ensuring that they achieve ambitious outcomes with our school leaders and teachers. This role reports to the Schools Director.
What You Will Do
- Lead induction training and professional development efforts for all school staff
- Lead school leader and teacher induction training and ongoing professional development efforts for your territory; ensure all induction training graduates and current school staff are world-class school leaders and teachers, prepared to succeed in NewGlobe-supported classrooms and schools, passionate and motivated to deliver for each child.
- Collaborate with Shared Services L&D to ensure that all content for induction training and professional development efforts are effective; coordinate across departments to ensure that content is up to date and accurate -- this is a complex and critical process.
- Develop, coach, and mentor a deeply skilled and mission-aligned team of Supervisors, School Management who will support L&D on the execution of large-scale induction trainings and ongoing professional development during their field visits to each school; ensure that the team is prepared and delivering high-quality training and coaching for NewGlobe-supported teachers & school leaders.
- Lead professional development, including induction and ongoing support, for Supervisors, School Management in collaboration with Shared Services L&D, using core programming and data of school performance
- Be a world-class project manager ensuring high-quality delivery, continuous improvement and transparency for the execution of induction training and professional development programs in your territory
- Work closely with the Administration, People Operations, Technology, and other departments to ensure seamless user experience for teachers and school leaders during induction training and professional development
- Use big data to improve training, and identify areas of further professional development needed
- Working with Shared Services L&D teams, use big data on academics, school management and community engagement to identify areas for further professional development, and continuously improve training quality and efficacy.
- Investigate academic, school management and community engagement trends through the year to inform training content and delivery, and advise ongoing school field visits led by School Management, Schools Group.
What You Should Have
- A Bachelor’s degree in education or related field
- Two or more years of teaching experience is desirable. Prior experience in teacher training would be a bonus.
- Exceptional organization, project and people management skills. Prior experience in having led and managed teams would be a plus.
- A data-driven, evidence-based mindset. Comfort in collecting and analyzing data to inform decisions is integral to this role.
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and G-suite.
- Willingness to travel across territories as per the business needs
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A networking mastermind – You excel at meeting new people and turning them into advocates. You communicate in a clear, conscientious, and effective way in both written and oral speech. You can influence strangers in the course of a single conversation. Allies and colleagues will go to bat for your ideas. You have an existing network from prior experience in the country, preferably in the regulatory, education, or business sectors.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, NewGlobe works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate –The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience,
- A malleable learner –You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.