Front-End Engineer, Software Development
Who We Are
NewGloe is working with visionary governments around the world to dramatically improve the quality of basic education. Founded in 2007, we partner with governments to provide integrated school management, teacher professional development, instructional design innovation, technological system support, child-centered classroom practice, and parent engagement -- all grounded in learning science -- to ensure each teacher is empowered to engage children in transformational learning, Our data-driven approach has been validated by a Nobel-winning researcher and recognition by international leaders in Education. We imagine a world where all children can access an education that unlocks their full potential.
We need bright minds who want to be part of building a new globe -- a more equitable globe -- to join us. More information at: newglobe.education
Technology plays a critical role enabling us to provide transformative education at massive scale in highly resource constrained environments. This is one of the key elements that gives us the ability to deliver radically impactful programmes, creating brighter futures for a generation of children across the world each day. Technology spans several key functions, including product management, business intelligence, software development and IT operations.
Working with us, passionate technologists have a chance to directly change the world. No kidding.
Software Development Department
The software development department handles all aspects of delivery related to our custom software applications and services - everything that it takes to turn an idea into working software and delivering value to our users. The department is structured into cross-functional, self-organising teams that work together on projects, short and long, alongside product designers and key business stakeholders.
About the Role
We are looking for a full time Front-End Developer to join our new Amsterdam-based cross-functional software development team, which will participate in building the software that powers and improves efficiency to enhance our competitive advantage.
This role is all about bringing front-end web development muscle to our cross-functional delivery teams. Your team will have front-end developers, full-stack developers, and technically minded QAs to deliver new functionality to existing apps and to build our next generation of web applications, as part of our ever expanding portfolio. And by “next generation of web applications”, we mean rigorously architected single-page web applications and progressive web-applications that consume microservices and treat testing and continuous delivery as first-class citizens.
What You Will Do
- Gather requirements, build, test, and ship web apps, both new and existing
- Collaborate with server-side developers to design the APIs for specifically for the web application (not just consuming APIs that were already developed)
- Engage on all dimensions of the app, from UI and UX, to business logic, to storage and networking
- Ensure the overall quality of the product being delivered meets our standards for scalability and maintainability. You will be comfortable not only in your primary functional area, but also able to feedback and support across all aspects of delivery
- Focus on continuous improvement, pushing themselves and the team to adopt new approaches and technologies, ensuring that we stay on top of emerging standards
- Work with product designers to flesh out design concepts and build interactive prototypes
- Work as part of a cross-functional delivery team to deliver world-class user experiences in challenging network environments - think lots of need for offline-first
- Contribute to and lead decisions about the right frameworks and libraries to use
- Craft all the appropriate CSS (well, SASS or LESS, of course), knowing that creating maintainable stylesheets means more than good class names (but that, too)
- Add a bit of sizzle and spice to the user experience… you love making sure it all renders pixel perfect!
- Implement appropriate web app build tooling, meaning live servers for development, minification and obfuscation for production… you get the idea
- Don’t forget about writing tests. You will definitely be writing automated tests
What You Should Have
- Considerable ability to be determined and adamant about markup quality.
- A belief that Agile and UI development can coexist happily.
- A belief in the importance of automated unit, integration, and functional tests for web apps and APIs alike
- Hands-on experience with formal pair-programming and other XP practices a major plus
- Experience with running projects using a formal delivery methodology (not just “we do Agile”); experience with more than one and the ability to articulate their relative strengths and weaknesses a major plus
- An understanding of RESTful APIs - and comfort pushing server-side developers to build them the way you want.
- A proactive and confident approach, where you’re comfortable representing projects in front of the full range of project stakeholders, including senior leadership. You seek information actively and work through potential solutions to ensure the project stays on track
- Proactive mindset and comfortable working without constant supervision
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A networking mastermind – You excel at meeting new people and turning them into advocates. You communicate in a clear, conscientious, and effective way in both written and oral speech. You can influence strangers in the course of a single conversation. Allies and colleagues will go to bat for your ideas. You have an existing network from prior experience in the country, preferably in the regulatory, education, or business sectors.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, NewGlobe works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate –The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
- A malleable learner –You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.
Values of Successful Employees at NewGlobe
We are looking for new joiners who are energized by our mission and share our values.
Detailed doers, creative problem-solvers, relentless advocates, malleable learners, data-driven decision-makers and curious investigators do well at NewGlobe. Learn more about our values and how to succeed as a job-seeker at NewGlobe on our LinkedIn page.