Data Analyst, Measurement & Evaluation
Who We Are
NewGlobe supports visionary governments to transform public education systems, the cornerstone of a prosperous, equitable, and peaceful society.
With a comprehensive system transformation platform and data-driven educational services, NewGlobe delivers rapid and dramatic improvements in learning outcomes at state and nationwide scale. Through building impactful partnerships and programmes, NewGlobe ensures that all children have access to an education that will develop their full potential and create a foundation for growth and prosperity.
NewGlobe leverages more than a decade of educational experience and proven impact in integrated school management, teacher professional development, instructional design innovation, technological system support, child-centered classroom practice, and parent engagement -- all grounded in learning science -- to ensure each teacher is empowered to engage children in transformational learning, and all children have the opportunity to develop to their full potential. Every day, NewGlobe supports governments to solve what were once seen as intractable problems, and by doing so, ensures this generation will be able to grow up to lead more fulfilled lives, while simultaneously building economic prosperity for themselves, their communities, and the globe.
NewGlobe’s high-touch, intensive professional development programs, along with integrated school management, teacher support, and assessment software, enable schools to succeed. NewGlobe works within state and national curriculum and syllabi, ensuring all children are empowered to learn their own history, and master local content, while being globally competitive in mathematics and languages. The science of behaviour change and the science of learning is at the foundation of all programming.
NewGlobe works with urgency because youth quickly becomes adulthood and relentlessly because improvement requires continuous problem-solving. NewGlobe is honoured to serve and to help rebuild trust in public systems.
NewGlobe’s work is all encompassing and will challenge you to use your full mind, and heart, each day. We need bright minds who want to be part of building a new globe -- a more equitable globe -- to join us.
The objective of the Academics group is to drive student achievement. To do so, we must know what is happening minute-by-minute for the typical child. The student’s daily experience, and thus the path to achievement, emerges from their relationship with the teachers and the content that is delivered in the classroom. Our team is collaboratively organized around these levers. We develop rigorous content pitched at the right level for students to be delivered by a teacher who is prepared to succeed in the classroom. Our Instructional Design department builds the content; our Leadership & Development department trains teachers and school leaders using scientifically-proven techniques; our Learning Innovation department looks at cutting-edge research to generate breakthrough learning gains. Underpinning all of this is the work of the independent Measurement and Evaluation group, which provides Academics with an empirical orientation toward improving that daily experience and, in turn, driving achievement.
Measurement & Evaluation
The Measurement & Evaluation team at NewGlobe is housed within the Academics group and collaborates across departments to help leaders assess the quality of teaching and learning at NewGlobe. We work to answer the core questions of “How well are we doing?”, “Are we getting better?”, and “How can we get even better?”. We blend quantitative analyses with qualitative field work to measure what matters most, provide feedback to NewGlobe school leaders and managers, assess our impact on student learning, and communicate the results to various internal and external audiences.
At the heart of our work is comparative analysis. We compare student learning at NewGlobe across time and place. In all of our locations, we examine how much faster NewGlobe students learn than their peers in similar schools. We examine how student performance today compares to student performance yesterday. We examine sub-groups of students to advance equity. We examine variability across our schools to determine which characteristics matter most to student learning. We help NewGlobe managers assess the impact of the changes they have made to accelerate learning.
We take pride in providing rigorous measurement, study design, and analysis. We also take pride in our ability to communicate clearly in words, tables, and data visualizations. We intend our work to make a difference in how NewGlobe managers and our government partners think and act. We judge our own work accordingly.
Collaboration sits at the heart of M&E at NewGlobe. We collaborate with our internal team members as well as with our government partners. With every product, we enter into a collaborative conversation with those who operate and those who study. M&E has established deep partnerships with the education ministries, with local research organizations, and with international researchers who focus on teaching and learning, especially those who focus on the aspects of schooling most relevant to the students we serve.
About the Role
We are seeking a full-time M&E Data Analyst to join our team. We are looking for someone eager to conduct impactful research, share their expertise, and build upon a tradition of evaluation and data excellence at NewGlobe.
The Data Analyst is responsible for supporting the data analysis of different descriptive analyses and impact evaluations within the organization. These analyses can range from simple descriptive analyses using a few Excel formulas, to more complex work using multiple Stata or R scripts. To do this, the Analyst will need to manage all parts of the data analysis process - starting from the design stage through the execution of analyses, and the reporting of the findings to other internal stakeholders.
The analyst is responsible for the provision of high-quality data products that other colleagues can rely on, and build their own work on. As such, this role is at the core of a large portion of all the M&E efforts within NewGlobe, and in consequence, at the intersection of our evaluation efforts to continually deliver stronger education to our students. We view data and analytics as core to our ability to learn as an organization. We want to cultivate data and analytics rock stars, people who produce and use data to reveal actionable insights for NewGlobe’s rapidly growing network of schools. The person in this role will receive constant coaching and mentoring from the rest of the M&E and Data Analytics team, and professional development will be a core feature of this role.
The M&E Analyst should be willing to work in Cambridge, MA. The M&E Analyst will report to the Director, M&E. Significant travel is required.
What You Will Do
- Clean and analyze data sets. These data sets can be used to answer questions from a wide range of topics like academic performance, impact evaluation studies, internal RCTs, among others.
- Ensure the creation of proper data pipelines and best data management practices.
- Contribute to a culture of data-driven decision-making by collaborating with various team members across territories.
- Accommodate requests for quick analyses. Time-sensitive questions will come from the VPs and C-Level Executives, and usually take anywhere from a few hours to a few days. Oftentimes, you will need to direct your staff to use their best judgment in the face of imperfect data.
- Other duties as required by the Directors and VP of M&E, and C-level executives.
What You Should Have
- High data literacy and a strong background in econometrics and/or statistics. Previous experience in an academic or applied setting, such as being an analyst, research assistant, data manager, or consultant. Experience in data cleaning, analysis, and/or visualization.
- A high level of proficiency with Stata or R, and Excel. Any other data analysis software or coding language is a plus. Experience with survey software like Qualtrics, SurveyCTO, or Google Forms is also a plus.
- Undergraduate degree (or its equivalent) or Masters degree – in a relevant academic discipline, for example (but not limited to) Economics, Public or Education Policy, or Statistics.
- Strong communication skills and the ability to translate complex ideas for non-technical audiences – you will need effective verbal and written communication skills to provide valuable insights and research reports for internal and external stakeholders.
- Belief in data-driven decision making.
- Flexible and loves to work in a dynamic environment.
- Passion – for NewGlobe’s mission.
- Bonus – experience in extreme growth situations and dealing with complexity; worked/studied in a developing country, worked in a no-excuses charter school in high-poverty areas in the U.S., and/or experience implementing data collection projects, particularly for impact evaluations.
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organized and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A networking mastermind – You excel at meeting new people and turning them into advocates. You communicate in a clear, conscientious, and effective way in both written and oral speech. You can influence strangers in the course of a single conversation. Allies and colleagues will go to bat for your ideas. You have an existing network from prior experience in the country, preferably in the regulatory, education, or business sectors.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, NewGlobe works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate –The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience,
- A malleable learner –You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.