Tax Director, Finance Operations
Who We Are
NewGlobe supports visionary governments to transform public education systems, the cornerstone of a prosperous, equitable, and peaceful society.
With a comprehensive system transformation platform and data-driven educational services, NewGlobe delivers rapid and dramatic improvements in learning outcomes at state and nationwide scale. Through building impactful partnerships and programmes, NewGlobe ensures that all children have access to an education that will develop their full potential and create a foundation for growth and prosperity.
NewGlobe leverages more than a decade of educational experience and proven impact in integrated school management, teacher professional development, instructional design innovation, technological system support, child-centred classroom practice, and parent engagement -- all grounded in learning science -- to ensure each teacher is empowered to engage children in transformational learning, and all children have the opportunity to develop to their full potential. Every day, NewGlobe supports governments to solve what were once seen as intractable problems, and by doing so, ensures this generation will be able to grow up to lead more fulfilled lives, while simultaneously building economic prosperity for themselves, their communities, and the globe.
NewGlobe’s high-touch, intensive professional development programs, along with integrated school management, teacher support, and assessment software, enable schools to succeed. NewGlobe works within state and national curriculum and syllabi, ensuring all children are empowered to learn their own history, and master local content, while being globally competitive in mathematics and languages. The science of behaviour change and the science of learning is at the foundation of all programming.
NewGlobe works with urgency because youth quickly becomes adulthood and relentlessly because improvement requires continuous problem-solving. NewGlobe is honoured to serve and to help rebuild trust in public systems.
NewGlobe’s work is all encompassing and will challenge you to use your full mind, and heart, each day. We need bright minds who want to be part of building a new globe -- a more equitable globe -- to join us.
The Finance Group partners with country and global leadership to achieve financial sustainability of our operations and make our mission come true. We provide strategic partnership to global leadership on raising capital and actionable feedback on our financial performance. We are continually focused on judicious use of resources whether for each one of our territories or for the entire organisation.
Across our rapidly scaling multi-unit enterprise, we provide leadership to build a world-class financial infrastructure. This includes the design and development of financial systems, policies, procedures (taking into account current and fast growing high volume transactions, teams, numbers of geographically distributed business units) and provision of shared services for financial operations by a centralised team specialising in Accounting, Accounts Payable, Payroll, Treasury and Financial Planning & Analysis.
About the Role
The role is to lead the Group’s direct and indirect taxation department.
What You Will Do
- Assist NewGlobe group to operate in tax optimal manner including evaluating ETR improvement opportunities,
- Assistance in evaluating and review of ideal operating structure in new/ existing jurisdiction,
- Assist in identifying external consultants with appropriate skills for tax projects in respective territories,
- Work with external consultants appointed by NewGlobe group to ensure all tax aspects of any transaction have been looked at,
- Assist in territory tax planning including review of all work papers related to tax returns to ensure appropriate computation and correctly considering all available benefits,
- Filing of refund application for past taxes withheld, VAT/ GST refunds, etc.,
- Assist NewGlobe group teams to set up tax process and controls which are best in class as per industry standards,
- Review of indirect tax compliances worldwide including filing assistance of VAT/ GST and other indirect tax returns,
- Assist in internal restructuring projects as envisaged by NewGlobe group from time to time,
- Required to have regular update on tax amendments and facilitating various territory teams to implement tax changes on timely basis,
- Maintain compliance tracker and ensure timely and appropriate direct and indirect tax compliances,
- Review and finalisation of tax disclosure for financial statements,
- Review of Customer and vendor contract as needed,
- Assist in taxation matters across groups as needed.
What You Should Have
- 5-10 years of working experience in global taxation including exposure in USA, UK, India and African territories Kenya, Uganda, Nigeria, Rwanda, Liberia, etc.
- Excellent understanding of taxation principles,
- Ability to manage senior stakeholders across functions,
- Take full onus of timely and accurate submission of tax reports and compliances,
- Eye for detail,
- Excellent in MS office tools,
- Good understanding of the business model/ operations and
- Strong analytical skills.
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organised and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, NewGlobe works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate –The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience, and value.
- A malleable learner –You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A data-driven decision-maker – When making decisions, you don’t rely on your intuition alone. You collect data, you analyse it and make decisions with clear justifications.
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.