Android Engineer, Software Development
Who We Are
NewGlobe is working with visionary governments around the world to dramatically improve the quality of basic education. Founded in 2007, we partner with governments to provide integrated school management, teacher professional development, instructional design innovation, technological system support, child-centered classroom practice, and parent engagement -- all grounded in learning science -- to ensure each teacher is empowered to engage children in transformational learning, Our data-driven approach has been validated by a Nobel-winning researcher and recognition by international leaders in Education. We imagine a world where all children can access an education that unlocks their full potential.
We need bright minds who want to be part of building a new globe -- a more equitable globe -- to join us. More information: newglobe.education
Technology plays a critical role enabling us to provide transformative education at massive scale in highly resource constrained environments. This is one of the key elements that gives us the ability to deliver radically impactful programmes, creating brighter futures for a generation of children across the world each day. Technology spans several key functions, including product management, business intelligence, software development and IT operations.
Working with us, passionate technologists have a chance to directly change the world. No kidding.
Software Development Department
The software development department handles all aspects of delivery related to our custom software applications and services - everything that it takes to turn an idea into working software and delivering value to our users. The department is structured into cross-functional, self-organising teams that work together on projects, short and long, alongside product designers and key business stakeholders.
About the Role
We are looking for an experienced full time Android engineer to join our new cross-functional software development team, which will build the software that powers and improves our ability to deliver massive learning gains – at scale. The team will have a special focus on the learning management platform and the rest of the tech running in our academies (which is all Android based). This person will join an elite, interdisciplinary team that will be building the technology that will take Bridge to the next level. It's a great opportunity to grow and learn, while working on developing software with a mission that few, if any, can compete with. We believe in innovation, fast feedback, and high impact. We have an existing portfolio of native Android applications that undergird our ability to support self-sufficient academy management, engage the local community, and deliver high-quality education to our pupils. However, we need someone that can drive the next generation of these platforms, ensuring high availability even in challenging conditions and generally driving innovation in the mobile space. It's all about rolling up one's sleeves to introduce best practices, deliver key functionality, and pave the way for exciting future possibilities, like adaptive curriculums and automated grading of tests (to name just a few).
What You Will Do
- Gather requirements, build, test, and ship new Android functionality for our academy tech platform.
- Collaborate with the server-side developers to design the APIs for specifically for the Android application (not just consuming APIs that were already developed for a web app)
- Engage on all dimensions of the app, from UI and UX, to business logic, to storage and networking.
What You Should Have
- At least three years of professional Android development experience.
- Especially published apps on Google Play
- Full lifecycle experience, from conceptualisation to deployment to feedback from production
- Experience with writing library projects that get reused across multiple android apps
- Knowledge of Gradle and DI helpful
- Experience architecting whole Android applications, not just adding features or porting existing apps
- Belief in the importance of automated unit, integration, and functional tests for Android apps
- Exposure to continuous integration and continuous delivery practices, especially in an environment of weekly (or even more frequent) releases to production
- Love for collaboration and working with driven stakeholders, including presenting work with confidence when interacting with business owners and users
- Openness and eagerness for learning new paradigms and practices
- Passion for NewGlobe's vision of democratising the right for all children to succeed
- A detailed doer – You have a track record of getting things done. You’re organised and responsive. You take ownership of every idea you touch and execute it to a fine level of detail, setting targets, engaging others, and doing whatever it takes to get the job done. You can multi-task dozens of such projects at once and never lose sight of the details. Likely, you have some experience in a start-up or other rapid-growth company.
- A networking mastermind – You excel at meeting new people and turning them into advocates. You communicate in a clear, conscientious, and effective way in both written and oral speech. You can influence strangers in the course of a single conversation. Allies and colleagues will go to bat for your ideas. You have an existing network from prior experience in the country, preferably in the regulatory, education, or business sectors.
- A creative problem-solver – Growing any business from scratch comes with massive and constant challenges. On top of that, NewGlobe works in often fragile, sometimes volatile low-resource communities and with complex government systems. You need to be flexible and ready to get everything done effectively, quickly, and affordably with the materials at hand.
- A relentless advocate –The children we serve and teachers we empower never leave your mind. You know them, get them, have shared a meal with them (or would be happy to in the future). You would never shrink back from shaking a parent’s hand or picking up a crying child, no matter what the person was wearing or looked like. Every decision you make considers their benefit, experience,
- A malleable learner –You believe you can always do better. You welcome constructive criticism and provide it freely to others. You know you only get better tomorrow when others point out where you’ve missed things or failed today.
- A curious investigator – You ask why a lot. You don’t just take what you see and accept it. You wonder why it is that way, and are aware that the world we see is created by human choices and actions – and it could be different. You wonder, and see the world as wonderful even when you want to change a part of it that is unjust.
Values of Successful Employees at NewGlobe
We are looking for new joiners who are energised by our mission and share our values.
Detailed doers, creative problem-solvers, relentless advocates, malleable learners, data-driven decision-makers and curious investigators do well at NewGlobe. Learn more about our values and how to succeed as a job-seeker at NewGlobe on our LinkedIn page.