Professional Learning Specialist (Indiana)
ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY
Khan Academy is a nonprofit with the mission to deliver a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere. Our proven learning platform offers free, high-quality supplemental learning content and practice that cover Pre-K - 12th grade and early college core academic subjects, focusing on math and science. We have over 155 million registered learners globally and are committed to improving learning outcomes for students worldwide, focusing on learners in historically under-resourced communities.
Our students, teachers, and parents come from all walks of life, and so do we. Our team includes people from academia, traditional/non-traditional education, big tech companies, and tiny startups. We hire great people from diverse backgrounds and experiences because it makes our company stronger. We value diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging as necessary to achieve our mission and impact the communities we serve. We know that transforming education starts in-house with learning about ourselves and our colleagues. We strive to be world-class in investing in our people and commit to developing you as a professional.
Khan Academy is looking for a Professional Learning Specialist based in Indiana who is excited to join a small team working on a big goal. Applicants should be passionate about delivering highly quality professional learning experiences to K-12 educators and administrators through virtual and in-person experiences. Applicants should have a background in teaching, coaching teachers and administrators, delivering professional development, analyzing data, and developing professional learning experiences and resources for educators.
Working closely with the Leader of Professional Learning, this individual thinks creatively about how to adjust the format, content & tone of professional learning sessions for various audiences and mediums, including in-person, live virtual, and on-demand recordings. This individual will play a critical role in preparing facilitators to deliver world-class professional learning experiences for educators in the Khan Academy Districts program.
What you will do:
- Personally deliver engaging, high-quality live and recorded professional development experiences to educators. Ensure training drives changes in teacher & administrator practices.
- Collaborate with District Success Managers to customize professional learning resources to meet the specific goals of Districts.
- Recommend and schedule professional development sessions with District partners
- Train & coach internal team members so they can also be effective PD facilitators.
- Continuously improve professional development content and structure by observing sessions led by others, analyzing survey responses & leading reflection sessions.
- Manage the upkeep and content creation for teachers and administrators to enhance their implementation.
- Project manage special projects
- Leverage data recommendations to coach teachers on instructional implications and actions to impact student learning.
WHAT YOU BRING
- 5+ years of experience teaching math or science in a K-12 setting
- 3+ years of experience as a school site or district level administrator in a K-12 setting
- 3+ years of experience in instructional coaching designing and delivering professional development sessions and strong understanding of adult learning theory
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) is required
- Motivation for the Khan Academy mission “to provide a free world-class education for anyone, anywhere."
- Experience using Khan Academy in the classroom with students
- World class training skills, including exceptional communication and presentation skills
- Strong coaching skills, including the ability to coach and mentor existing and new facilitators
- Experience developing and analyzing qualitative and quantitative feedback & survey data in order to inform changes to individual & team strategies
- Proven cross-cultural competency skills demonstrating self-awareness, awareness of other, and the ability to adopt inclusive perspectives, attitudes, and behaviors to drive inclusion and belonging throughout the organization.
- Excellent organizational skills - ability to manage multiple tasks concurrently, from start to finish
- Strong project management skills. Ability to meet deadlines and work independently.
- Strong technology skills including ed tech tools, video recording software, live video-conferencing tools, & Google Workplace tools
NOTE: The Professional Learning Specialist must reside in Indiana and is expected to work remotely with the ability to travel up to 50% to deliver training sessions.
PERKS AND BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team extremely well! We offer:
- Competitive salaries
- Ample paid time off as needed – Your well-being is a priority.
- Remote-first culture - that caters to your time zone, with open flexibility as needed, at times
- Generous parental leave
- An exceptional team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to do your best
- The chance to put your talents towards a deeply meaningful mission and the opportunity to work on high-impact products that are already defining the future of education
- Opportunities to connect through affinity, ally, and social groups
- And we offer all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance, including medical, dental, vision, and life
At Khan Academy we are committed to fair and equitable compensation practices, the well-being of our employees, and our Khan community. This belief is why we have built out a robust Total Rewards package that includes competitive base salaries, and extensive benefits and perks to support physical, mental, and financial well-being.
The target salary range for this position is $96,800 - $115,000 USD. The pay range for this position is a general guideline only. The salary offered will depend on internal pay equity and the candidate’s relevant skills, experience, qualifications, and job market data. Exceptional performers in this role who make an outsized contribution can make well in excess of this range. Additional incentives are provided as part of the complete total rewards package in addition to comprehensive medical and other benefits.
MORE ABOUT US
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- Sal's TED talk from 2023
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
OUR COMPANY VALUES
Live & breathe learners
We deeply understand and empathize with our users. We leverage user insights, research, and experience to build content, products, services, and experiences that our users trust and love. Our success is defined by the success of our learners and educators.
Take a stand
As a company, we have conviction in our aspirational point of view of how education will evolve. The work we do is in service to moving towards that point of view. However, we also listen, learn and flex in the face of new data, and commit to evolving this point of view as the industry and our users evolve.
Embrace diverse perspectives
We are a diverse community. We seek out and embrace a diversity of voices, perspectives and life experiences leading to stronger, more inclusive teams and better outcomes. As individuals, we are committed to bringing up tough topics and leaning into different points of view with curiosity. We actively listen, learn and collaborate to gain a shared understanding. When a decision is made, we commit to moving forward as a united team.
Work responsibly and sustainably
We understand that achieving our audacious mission is a marathon, so we set realistic timelines and we focus on delivery that also links to the bigger picture. As a non-profit, we are supported by the generosity of donors as well as strategic partners, and understand our responsibility to our finite resources. We spend every dollar as though it were our own. We are responsible for the impact we have on the world and to each other. We ensure our team and company stay healthy and financially sustainable.
Bring out the joy
We are committed to making learning a joyful process. This informs what we build for our users and the culture we co-create with our teammates, partners and donors.
Cultivate learning mindset
We believe in the power of growth for learners and for ourselves. We constantly learn and teach to improve our offerings, ourselves, and our organization. We learn from our mistakes and aren’t afraid to fail. We don't let past failures or successes stop us from taking future bold action and achieving our goals.
We insist on high standards and deliver delightful, effective end-to-end experiences that our users can rely on. We choose to focus on fewer things — each of which aligns to our ambitious vision — so we can deliver high-quality experiences that accelerate positive measurable learning with our strategic partners.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and we encourage candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply.