Sr. Engineering Manager, Teacher Experience
ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY
Founded in 2006, we are a nonprofit because we believe education is a human right. Our mission is to provide a free, world-class education to anyone, anywhere. Through our research, we know that to achieve our mission, we must better understand and focus on historically under-resourced (HUR) communities in the US to guide our work. Our focus on providing equitable solutions to HUR communities helps ensure we close gaps in education that benefit all learners.
Our students, teachers, and parents come from all walks of life, and so do we. Our team includes people from academia, traditional/non-traditional education, big tech companies, and tiny startups. We hire great people from diverse backgrounds and experiences because it makes our company stronger. We value diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging as necessary to achieve our mission and impact the communities we serve. We know that transforming education starts in-house with learning about ourselves and our colleagues. We strive to be world-class in investing in our people and commit to developing you as a professional.
We are looking for an experienced engineering leader to manage one of our Product Engineering teams responsible for delivering engaging and efficacious K-14 learning solutions for schools and districts. The primary focus of this role is managing a team that builds product capabilities that help teachers save time and increase classroom engagement and learning.
With the recent launch of Khanmigo and Artificial Intelligence (AI) as a technology, this role will help harness the power of AI to deliver the product capabilities where applicable.
This role would be responsible for:
- Driving delivery on product goals through direct people management
- Partnering with cross-functional colleagues in design, content, philanthropy, marketing and product management
- Collaborating with external partners to deliver contractual features
- Partnering with architects and other engineering managers to make sure our product architecture, performance, and quality meet the needs of our users
- Contributing to technical thought leadership. Driving consensus within their team around technical vision
- Fostering career growth by seeking challenging and impactful work for all members of the team
- Providing real-time feedback and coaching
- Empowering engineers and supporting them with tools and processes to efficiently deliver amazing user experiences
You can read about our latest work on our Engineering Blog. A few highlights:
- Taking on world-changing challenges guided by our Engineering Principles – some of which have never been solved before.
- Beating the odds: Khan Academy’s successful monolith→services rewrite
- Technical choices behind a successful rewrite project
- Why we switched to Airflow for pipeline orchestration
WHAT YOU BRING
- Motivation for Khan Academy's mission “to provide a free world-class education for anyone, anywhere”
- At least 4 years of experience managing teams of software engineers and managers
- Experience with Agile development and methodologies
- Proven cross-cultural competency skills demonstrating self-awareness, awareness of other, and the ability to adopt inclusive perspectives, attitudes, and behaviors to drive inclusion and belonging throughout the organization.
- The ability to manage a diverse team of engineers from all backgrounds
- Strong communication skills, both spoken and written — a history of blogging or essay-writing is helpful
- Technical proficiency — you can dive into technical discussions and deeply understand and influence the decision making process
- Ability to set clear expectations and goals for the team. You hold team members accountable for performance expectations and take different approaches to motivating high performers and turning around low performers
Qualities we value in Engineering Management:
- A strong point of view about products and user outcomes
- Capable of navigating ambiguity, proactively seeking out the people/information you need to move projects forward
- Passion for helping others succeed - not just your direct reports, but your peers as well
We welcome candidates with experience in any and all technologies. We don’t require experience in any particular language or tool. Our commitment to on-boarding and mentorship means you won’t be left in the dark as you learn new technologies.
PERKS AND BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team extremely well! We offer:
- Competitive salaries
- Ample paid time off as needed – we are about getting things done, not face time
- Generous parental leave
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- The ability to put your talents towards a deeply meaningful mission and the opportunity to work on high-impact products that are already defining the future of education
- Affinity groups where Parents, Black, Hispanic/Latino, Women and Gender Minorities, and LGBTQIA+ identified folks come together
- And all those other typical benefits as well: 401(k) + 4% matching & comprehensive insurance including medical, dental, vision, and life
At Khan Academy we are committed to fair and equitable compensation practices, the well-being of our employees, and our Khan community. This belief is why we have built out a robust Total Rewards package that includes competitive base salaries, and extensive benefits and perks to support physical, mental, and financial well-being.
For this position, our hiring salary range is $182,000 - $200,000 USD. The pay range for this position is a general guideline only. We determine the final salary offer by factoring in experience and skills, evaluating the state of the job market, and assessing pay equity within the team.
MORE ABOUT US
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- Our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
OUR COMPANY VALUES
Live & breathe learners
We deeply understand and empathize with our users. We leverage user insights, research, and experience to build content, products, services, and experiences that our users trust and love. Our success is defined by the success of our learners and educators.
Take a stand
As a company, we have conviction in our aspirational point of view of how education will evolve. The work we do is in service to moving towards that point of view. However, we also listen, learn and flex in the face of new data, and commit to evolving this point of view as the industry and our users evolve.
Embrace diverse perspectives
We are a diverse community. We seek out and embrace a diversity of voices, perspectives and life experiences leading to stronger, more inclusive teams and better outcomes. As individuals, we are committed to bringing up tough topics and leaning into different points of view with curiosity. We actively listen, learn and collaborate to gain a shared understanding. When a decision is made, we commit to moving forward as a united team.
Work responsibly and sustainably
We understand that achieving our audacious mission is a marathon, so we set realistic timelines and we focus on delivery that also links to the bigger picture. As a non-profit, we are supported by the generosity of donors as well as strategic partners, and understand our responsibility to our finite resources. We spend every dollar as though it were our own. We are responsible for the impact we have on the world and to each other. We ensure our team and company stay healthy and financially sustainable.
Bring out the joy
We are committed to making learning a joyful process. This informs what we build for our users and the culture we co-create with our teammates, partners and donors.
Cultivate learning mindset
We believe in the power of growth for learners and for ourselves. We constantly learn and teach to improve our offerings, ourselves, and our organization. We learn from our mistakes and aren’t afraid to fail. We don't let past failures or successes stop us from taking future bold action and achieving our goals.
We insist on high standards and deliver delightful, effective end-to-end experiences that our users can rely on. We choose to focus on fewer things — each of which aligns to our ambitious vision — so we can deliver high-quality experiences that accelerate positive measurable learning with our strategic partners.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or Veteran status. We value diversity, equity, and inclusion, and we encourage candidates from historically underrepresented groups to apply.