Teacher Training Expert
ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY
Khan Academy is a fast-paced, nonprofit startup on a mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere. We already reach millions of students every month and are growing rapidly. We’re building a library of world-class instructional and practice resources that empower learners. Whether they’re studying matrices, mitosis, or multivariable calculus, we want to offer students the resources to realize that they can learn anything. Our learning system is mastery-based, which allows students to master key concepts at a pace that’s right for them.
ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY INDIA
Khan Academy India (KAI) aims to deliver a world-class user experience to learners in India that is locally relevant and is enabled by a strong on-the-ground team and operations. Khan Academy content is already available in Hindi, Hinglish, Punjabi, Marathi, Kannada, Assamese, and Gujarati. From under 500,000 learners in 2016, we are now serving almost 4 million learners a month in India. These learners include both independent learners accessing us at home and teacher-directed learners in schools. You can learn more about our priorities and initiatives here, here, and here.
Our students, teachers, and parents come from all walks of life and so do we. We are a fun and diverse team that comes from a variety of backgrounds. Our team includes people from academia, high tech, ed tech, and social impact companies among others. We hire great people from diverse backgrounds and experiences, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it is necessary for us to actualize our mission and truly impact the communities we serve.
ABOUT THE INDIA SCHOOLS TEAM
In line with our focus on reaching the underserved, we partner with government school systems to improve student learning outcomes by enabling teachers and students to optimally utilize the tools and resources on the Khan Academy platform. From our government partnerships, we reached 1.2 million learners last year, partnering with 8,000+ schools across various states. Our goal is to expand our scale to reach over five million learners in three years.
The Schools Team works in a lean and collaborative way with our government partners, developing strong implementation plans and providing support at every step of the way. We learn and constantly iterate by gathering feedback and through data-backed insights and efficacy studies. With a small team of 9 members, we have managed to reach 12,000+ teachers and 1.2 million learners across various states.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As part of our government programs, we support teachers and teacher mentors through training sessions, resources, webinars, and by enabling peer-to-peer sharing. The Schools Team is looking to bring an on-board Expert, Teacher Professional Development to design and deliver professional development initiatives for teachers, teacher mentors, and administrators as part of the team’s work with different government partners.
This is a 12-month contract-based role.
In this role, you would:
- Design and deliver synchronous and asynchronous modes of capacity-building initiatives for the partner programs
- Manage a team of master trainers in multiple languages and equip them to execute high-quality training for partners at a scale
- Identify and document the best practices & challenges emerging from the field and proactively prepare learning material to scale/address them
- Use data-informed decisions to continuously improve the efficiency and effectiveness of the training sessions conducted by the Khan Academy India team
- Work closely with the Lead & Sr. Lead, TPD to strengthen the existing teacher professional development framework, aligned with the team’s overall goals
You would be a great fit for the role if you have:
- 5+ years of experience including 3+ years working on designing & delivering effective training programs for teachers and other education stakeholders, ideally in a government setting
- Fluency in English and Hindi (Read, write & speak)
- A passion for education and a desire to change the world
- A proven ability to work across teams with superior communication skills
- A proven ability to work with team members to identify and solve problem statements
- An entrepreneurial mindset, including a high tolerance for ambiguity, a penchant for experimentation, and a bias toward action
- Willingness to travel to different states to conduct training
- Candidates with additional language proficiency in Punjabi or Marathi would be preferred.
- Prior teaching experience (will be a plus)
PERKS AND BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team competitively
- Competitive salaries
- A fun, high-caliber team that trusts you and gives you the freedom to be brilliant
- The ability to put your talents towards a deeply meaningful mission and the opportunity to work on high-impact products that are already defining the future of education
- Remote work friendly, i.e. option to work from home; flexible schedules
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- A glimpse of our leadership team: https://www.khanacademy.org/about/our-board
HOW TO APPLY
- Attach your resume or LinkedIn URL
- For the Schools Team, we believe that reaching all learners will require us to work closely with teachers - and build their capacity to leverage the tools and insights available on Khan Academy to better support their students. With this in mind, we request you complete the pre-work assignment here and submit your assignments as per Task 1 & Task 2 defined here.
- Please submit links for the following in the task question fields (Task 1 & Task 2 both)
- Task 1: Please submit a link (Google drive, slide, Canva etc.) for the Slide deck
- Task 2: Please submit a link for the Video recording (Drive, Youtube, Canva, Loom etc.)