ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY
Khan Academy is a fast-paced, nonprofit startup on a mission to provide a free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere. We already reach millions of students every month and are growing rapidly. We’re building a library of world-class instructional and practice resources that empowers learners. Whether they’re studying matrices, mitosis, or multivariable calculus, we want to offer students the resources to realize that they can learn anything.
ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY INDIA
Khan Academy India aims to deliver a world class user experience that is locally relevant to learners in India and is enabled by a strong on-the-ground team and operations. Our learning system is mastery based, which allows students to master key concepts at a pace that is right for them before moving on to more challenging content. From serving under 500,000 learners in 2016, we are now serving almost 4 million learners a month across our websites, apps and youtube channels. These learners include both independent learners accessing us at home and teacher directed learners in schools. Our focus is to reach the underserved by making our content accessible in local languages and by working with large public school systems. Khan Academy is available in Hinglish, Hindi, Gujarati, Assamese, Marathi, Punjabi and Kannada.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Khan Academy is looking for an experienced data scientist to join our growing team. This role will partner with our India schools team to drive engagement with our product and improve student outcomes. We are looking for curious, passionate individuals who can apply their strong technical skills to mine for insights across our rich datasets, and work collaboratively across the organization to drive critical strategic decisions. This role will report to our Principal Data Scientist.
In this role you will:
- Identify and measure success of our school team’s initiatives through goal setting, forecasting, monitoring, and ongoing analysis of core outcome metrics.
- Perform advanced exploratory analyses on large sets of data to extract insights about our teacher & learner behavior and guide our decisions around investments and initiatives.
- Work with our engineering teams to improve the tools and datasets and work self-sufficiently with data pipelines (e.g. ETLs) on an as-needed basis.
- Use your expertise in experimentation (i.e. AB testing, causal inference) to measure the impact of various programs and interventions.
- Contribute to development of analytics tools and data applications to enhance data access for the schools success team.
- Collaborate with efficacy researchers to provide curated datasets and/or dashboards for measuring learner outcomes.
You are someone with:
- A passion for education and a desire to change the world
- Background in applied math, statistics, economics, or a related technical field
- 2-4 years experience in data science or analytics
- Strong SQL foundations & ability to manipulate data using Python. We are SQL and spreadsheets heavy.
- Strong data storytelling, visualization and communication abilities; prior experience developing BI tools is a plus
- Knowledge of statistical (i.e. multiple regression, hypothesis testing) and machine learning techniques (i.e. clustering, decision tree learning, etc.) for real-world applications
- Prior experience with the end-to-end analytics chain is a nice to have (e.g. data modeling & ETL, BI tool development)
- Flexible to periodically visit our office in Delhi NCR, to interact with the Schools team.
PERKS AND BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team like a for-profit.
- Competitive salaries
- Remote-friendly workplace, i.e. option to work from home; Flexible schedules
- Health and wellness benefits
- Professional development focus
- Paid time off and parental leave
- Fun virtual events
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- Sal’s TED talk from 2023
- A glimpse of our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
- A glimpse of our content created: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED8P8vchQJM
- Our Hinglish content in action: http://bit.ly/khanacademyyoutube
HOW TO APPLY
- Attach your resume or Linkedin URL in the space provided below.
- Please address the below-mentioned task and attach your response in the space provided below.
Please submit your task assignment in the question below.
We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status.