Math Content Creator
ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY
Khan Academy is a fast-paced nonprofit on a mission to provide free, world-class education for anyone, anywhere. We reach millions of students every month and are growing rapidly. We’re building a library of world-class instructional and practice resources that empowers learners. Whether they’re studying matrices, mitosis, or multivariable calculus, we want to offer students the resources to realize that they can learn anything.
ABOUT KHAN ACADEMY INDIA
Khan Academy India aims to deliver a world-class user experience to learners in India that is locally relevant and are enabled by a strong on-the-ground team and operations. Our learning system is mastery-based, which allows students to master key concepts at a pace that’s right for them before moving on to more challenging content. From serving under 500,000 learners in 2016, we are now serving almost 4 million learners a month across our websites, apps, and youtube channels. These learners include both independent learners accessing us at home, and teacher-directed learners in schools. Our focus is to reach the underserved by making our content accessible in local languages and by working with large public school systems. Khan Academy is already available in Assamese, Hindi, Hinglish, Kannada, Gujarati, Tamil, Marathi, and Punjabi.
ABOUT THE INDIA CONTENT TEAM
Our content team in India includes content creators who make thousands of awesome videos, articles, and practice questions aligned with the Indian curriculum to help both teachers and students. We are actively working on content localization in other regional languages as well, which means the content we co-create reaches a wider number (both nationally and globally), thereby quintupling the impact.
ABOUT THE ROLE
We are looking for a Math content creator to lead our efforts of creating syllabus-aligned videos and practice questions primarily aligned for grades 6-12th. This will be a 1-year full-time contract position. (with a possibility of extension)
Important: We are not planning to create test prep content (JEE/NEET) anytime soon. That’s why we aren’t looking for folks who primarily help students crack these exams. Instead, we are looking for folks who love to spark an interest in their subject, ignite curiosity, and provide conceptual understanding.
In this role, you would:
- Create syllabus-aligned content plans for math, review existing content wherever necessary, create practice questions, and videos wherever necessary. In short, you will own up the entire math vertical.
- Collaborate with state teachers to create project plans that align with their curriculum. This involves staying up-to-date with the state's academic plans and strategically incorporating ongoing needs during the academic year. (You are expected to travel with the team and conduct workshops where we gather feedback on our content)
- Continuously iterate and improve content based on feedback received
- Analyze content usage metrics to identify areas of improvement and optimize content strategy
- Be willing to travel. (Usually about once in two months, for about 2 to 3 days)
You would be a great fit for the role if
- You have a combined 4+ years of experience in teaching and creating educational content for NCERT Math. Impeccable written communication skills are non-negotiable.
- You are a quick learner: As a small team, we are often pulled into different streams. We are looking for fast learners who can always support 6-12th STEM creation whenever necessary. (of course, your primary vertical will be Math)
- You have the ability to timebox effortlessly. As a small team, our greatest strength is the ability to pace up whenever needed by timeboxing on content. This requires us to have the ‘shipping beats perfection’ mindset.
- You don’t need to be managed: We lead with context, not control. We expect you to be proactive and ask clarifying questions, provide status updates, loop in your manager when things aren't going your way, etc.
- You are someone with an entrepreneurial mindset, including a high tolerance for ambiguity, a penchant for experimentation, and a bias toward action. You are willing to roll up your sleeves and help the team get work done as we grow.
- You are passionate about education and have a strong desire to change the world for the better.
PERKS AND BENEFITS
We may be a non-profit, but we reward our talented team like a for-profit.
- Competitive salaries. You can expect 18 L+ for this role
- Remote-friendly workplace; Flexible schedules
- Fun virtual events
- Sal’s TED talk from 2011
- Sal’s TED talk from 2015
- A glimpse of our team: http://www.khanacademy.org/about/the-team
- A glimpse of our content created: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED8P8vchQJM
- Our localized content in action: http://bit.ly/khanacademyyoutube
HOW TO APPLY
- Attach your resume or Linkedin URL in the space provided below.
- Please address the below-mentioned task and attach your response (google Docs/pdf/etc.) in the space provided below.
This task aims to gauge your ability to see the ‘big picture’ of your subject. How do you organize the subject in your head? How do you see learners progressing through them? What skills are essential, etc?
Build a “Foundations of NCERT Math (Class 10th)” course that helps a student grasp the fundamentals and then go on and study the rest of the syllabus on their own. Keep the course concise, but include everything you think is essential for students to grasp the rest of the textbook. If you feel so, you can alter the flow of NCERT to make it more pedagogically sound.
- A course outline - a list of chapters with descriptions for each.
- Your process of going from NCERT to your course - why you prioritized what you did, your rationale for the course flow, and anything else you’d like to share!
- For any one chapter in your course, create a list of lessons/sub-topics along with their descriptions.
- For any one sub-topic within a chapter, create 2 MCQ questions with good distractors that test conceptual understanding. Provide solutions to both in a conversational tone.
We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, or veteran status