Senior Software Engineer, Search
Everyone is welcome at Handshake. We know diverse teams build better products and we are committed to creating an inclusive culture built on a foundation of respect for all individuals. We strongly encourage candidates from non-traditional backgrounds, historically marginalized or underrepresented groups to apply.
Want to learn more about what it's like to work at Handshake? Check out these interviews from our team members!
Handshake is building a diverse team of dynamic engineers who value creating a high quality, high impact product. We are looking for Software Engineers who are excellent generalists and have a strong focus on product development with experience in ElasticSearch. You'll be working on small, multi-functional teams with other engineers on the Infrastructure team building and supporting our search systems.
- Build and enhance software to maintain our search infrastructure, with disaster recovery, multi-datacenter support, multi-layer caching, failover capabilities, and a customized deployment process.
- Lead the search infrastructure engineering projects to improve search experience, system scalability and performance.
- Design and develop search systems for real time decisions, large-scale data processing and event-driven systems and technologies is a plus.
- Be a Search Champion: you have knowledge and experience in many search technologies, empowering you to understand the challenges of making discovery better by hypothesis, modeling, and experimentation.
You’ll work with these technologies:
- PostgreSQL, Redis, Pub/Sub, Elasticsearch
- Ruby on Rails, Golang
- You are adept with agile software development lifecycle and DevOps principles
- You prefer taking projects from inception to completion and are outcome-oriented
- You have 3+ years of experience in building consumer-facing web applications in a dynamic development environment in AWS, GCP or Azure.
- You are interested in backend development but have passion and knowledge in one or more areas of the web stack.
- You have experience with containerization technologies, especially Kubernetes
- You have experience working in distributed, performant, at-scale backend systems
- Deep understanding of Data Structures and Algorithms
- You are strong in Operations but have passion and knowledge in automation
$153,000 - $240,000
For cash compensation, we set standard ranges for all U.S.-based roles based on function, level, and geographic location, benchmarked against similar stage growth companies. In order to be compliant with local legislation, as well as to provide greater transparency to candidates, we share salary ranges on all job postings regardless of desired hiring location. Final offer amounts are determined by multiple factors, including geographic location as well as candidate experience and expertise, and may vary from the amounts listed above.
Handshake is the #1 place to launch a career with no connections, experience, or luck required. The platform connects up-and-coming talent with 750,000+ employers - from Fortune 500 companies like Google, Nike, and Target to thousands of public school districts, healthcare systems, and nonprofits. In 2022 we announced our $200M Series F funding round. This Series F fundraise and valuation of $3.5B will fuel Handshake’s next phase of growth and propel our mission to help more people start, restart, and jumpstart their careers.
When it comes to our workforce strategy, we’ve thought deeply about how work-life should look here at Handshake. With our Hub-Based Remote Working strategy, employees can enjoy the flexibility of remote work, whilst ensuring collaboration and team experiences in a shared space remains possible. Handshake is headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Denver, New York, London, and Berlin and teammates working globally.
Check out our careers site to find a hub near you!
What we offer
Benefits below apply to employees in full-time positions.
At Handshake, we'll give you the tools to feel healthy, happy and secure.
- 💰 Equity and ownership in a fast-growing company.
- 🍼 16 Weeks of paid parental leave for birth giving parents & 10 weeks of paid parental leave for non-birth giving parents.
- 💝 Comprehensive medical, dental, and vision policies including LGTBQ+ Coverage. We also provide resources for Mental Health Assistance, Employee Assistance Programs and counseling support.
- 💻 Handshake offers $500/£360 home office stipend for you to spend during your first 3 months to create a productive and comfortable workspace at home.
- 📚 Generous learning & development opportunities and an annual $2,000/£1,500 stipend for you to grow your skills and career.
- 🏦 401k Match: Handshake offers a dollar-for-dollar match on 1% of deferred salary, up to a maximum of $1,200 per year.
- 🏝 All full-time US-based Handshakers are eligible for our flexible time off policy to get out and see the world. In addition, we offer 8 standardized holidays, and 2 additional days of flexible holiday time off. Lastly, we have a Winter #ShakeBreak, a one-week period of Collective Time Off.
- 🏦 Pension Scheme: Handshake will provide you with a workplace pension, where you will make contributions based on 5% of your salary. Handshake will pay the equivalent of 3% towards your pension plan, subject to qualifying earnings limits.
- 🏝 Up to 25 days of vacation to encourage people to reset, recharge, and refresh, in addition to 8 bank holidays throughout the year.
For roles based in Berlin, Poland, and Romania: Please ask your recruiter about region specific benefits.
Looking for more? Explore our mission, values and comprehensive US benefits at joinhandshake.com/careers.
Something looks off?