Product Manager (Data Ingest)
Posted on Thursday, May 11, 2023
We are currently making a series of investments in our Platform organization, whose mission is to enable and empower Ellevation to efficiently and safely scale our product offerings. Within that organization, the Data Ingest team owns the strategy for how to best integrate data from school districts’ other information systems, so that it can be used throughout our product suite to help educators better understand the needs of their English language learners.
As the Product Manager, you will play a key role in delivering a new data ingest engine, API integrations, and internal operational tooling. You will also manage the ingested data for product teams’ use. To achieve this, you will engage in discovery with stakeholders across the business and deeply understand the needs of both our product teams and the Data Integration team, which lives within the Customer Success org and are the primary users of Ingest’s tooling. You will also partner closely with an engineering peer to lead the agile team, identify and weigh tradeoffs around short and long-term investments, and drive an experimental and iterative approach to solving key problems.
At Ellevation, Product Managers are responsible for working cross-functionally across the organization to ensure the work of your team has an impact on our customers. This involves creating opportunities for others to plug in to your work and ensuring stakeholders understand what you are doing, why you are doing it, and that you have factored their ideas and/or concerns into that thinking.
- 1 month: Build a clear picture of the key challenges and strategic contexts facing Ellevation with a particular eye on ingested data and key in-progress initiatives. Develop rapport with key stakeholders and team members.
- 3 months: Begin to shape and drive strategic decisions around the Data Ingest domain. Work alongside engineering to prioritize development and implementation of new tools and solutions. Set ambitious learning objectives and drive the pace and quality of decisions on the team. Establish influential, high-trust relationships across the organization.
- 6 months: Work with Platform Leadership to define a Product Strategy for Data Ingest that positions Ellevation to make significant progress towards delivering new tools and enhanced data models for our product.
- 12 months: Take full ownership over the domain. Drive key outcomes against our business goals and support the transformation of our data ingest processes to ensure Ellevation is in a position to build towards 30%+ growth in 2024.
- We are organized into small product teams that focus on key problems to solve in the context of their specific domain. We focus on outcomes over output. Our teams are empowered to research, prototype, and solicit feedback from users -- both internal and external -- to validate hypotheses. We engage users early and rapidly iterate so that the end result is a high-confidence, high-value product. We aim to foster an environment where we have the runway to experiment and learn from failure while tackling tricky challenges.
- Our teams are cross-functional in that they are made up of members of Product (Product Manager, UX Designer) and members of Engineering (Tech Lead, Engineers). Product and Engineering work hand-in-hand together—we call ourselves DevPro, and in fact, we rarely meet in isolation.
- Clear vision and strong strategy are core principles within the Product organization. We value product managers who fully own the long-term vision—knowing where we are going and importantly why it matters for our customers. As strategy is meant to evolve, you will need to constantly identify increments, spot and mitigate risks, and position your team to meet the needs of the business on the way there.
- We celebrate being accountable to outcomes, which means signing up to pursue that vision by knocking down obstacles that get in the way. This looks like conducting experiments which throw off learnings, adjusting strategy based on those learnings, and delivering products to end-users that change behavior and drive real value for the business.
- You have 3+ years of experience in Product Management or comparable positions
- You have an interest and understanding of ETL processes, particularly the “T”-- the ways in which data is transformed so that it’s useful for downstream consumers
- You are familiar with data processing languages like Python Pandas or Polars, R, or SQL
- You have a strong track record of solving complex problems and driving key business outcomes
- You are a natural leader and are able to inspire and influence others without authority
- You are experimental and curious; you love to test ideas, learn quickly, fail fast, and iterate
- You demonstrate an eagerness to learn from others
At Ellevation, we develop world-class software to help educators serve the fastest growing population of K-12 students: English Learners (ELs). Ellevation helps school districts transform their Multilingual Learner programs and ensure all students can achieve their highest aspirations. Our product suite includes a best-in-class data and instructional planning platform, resources to build teacher capacity, and student-facing programs to teach academic language.
We are a fast-growing, mission-driven technology company partnering with over 1,200 school districts and more than 3 million current and former English Learners. Over the next five years, we plan to double the number of ELs we serve and drive measurable outcomes for students. Ellevation merged with Curriculum Associates in 2021 to accelerate impact for Multilingual Learners. Our company continues to operate independently and is well-capitalized to support our ambitious social and financial objectives.
In addition to our great benefits and competitive salaries, here are some things that make us unique:
+ Mission-driven organization where team members are empowered to make a significant impact
+ Opportunities to join DEIB-focused groups and support building a culture of belonging
+ Professional development and growth opportunities
+ Company and team offsites in various cities across the United States
+ Collaborative workspace in the heart of Boston - a stone's throw from many central T stops (Downtown Crossing, Government Center, and Aquarium). Free snacks, beverages, and local organic fruit provided
+ Remote and in-person engagement opportunities, including happy hours, themed events, and competitions
+ Remote and in-person wellness programming to support team’s mental and physical wellbeing
Learn more about our team in our Culture Deck.
Here at Ellevation, we champion diversity, inclusion, equity, and belonging. We strive to build a team that reflects the diverse communities we serve. We are committed to creating an inclusive workplace that promotes and values a range of ideas and opinions.
We believe in building a culture where productivity can flourish, one that is empathetic, respectful, and inclusive. We are proud to have been recognized in prior years as “Best Tech Workplace for Diversity” by the Timmy Awards for investing in training around inclusive behaviors, microaggressions, unconscious bias, and fostering a culture of continuous learning and feedback across the company. We are encouraged by our progress, but there’s more work to be done.
Benefits – Benefits eligible employees (and qualifying dependents) are covered by medical, dental, vision, and basic life insurance. Employees can enroll in our company's 401(k) retirement plan and receive an employer match up to 50% on the first 7% of your contribution, with pre-tax and Roth options. Employees have access to flexible paid time off for vacations, sick and disability policy, additional 10 paid company holidays, 2 floating holidays and a winter office closure between Christmas and New Year's. In addition, we provide a generous parental leave benefit, back-up childcare or eldercare, and a variety of other perks to support the health and well-being of our employees.
Additional Information: Ellevation operates under Curriculum Associates, LLC, an Equal Opportunity Employer. Curriculum Associates, LLC will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by law. Curriculum Associates, LLC will grant employment, without regard to race, color, creed, religion, sex, national origin, age, marital status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, disability, genetic information, or any other category protected by law. Such action shall include, but not be limited to, the following: employment, upgrading, demotion, transfer, recruitment or recruitment advertising, layoff or termination, rates of pay or other forms of compensation.
Our company uses E-Verify to confirm the employment eligibility of all newly hired employees. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit www.uscis.gov/e-verify.
Information that you provide when applying for employment with Curriculum Associates, LLC may be subject to the California Privacy Rights Act. Click here for more information about our data-collection practices and your rights related to that data.
See more open positions at Ellevation
Something looks off?