Human Resource Officer Uganda - Short Term Contract
Educate!, a fast-growing and award-winning social enterprise, is seeking a HR Officer to support the operations team in Uganda. We’re looking for someone who has non-profit experience, delivers results while leading multiple projects, is willing to improve on processes and is able to seamlessly handle projects at hand.
The Human Resource Officer will be responsible for supporting the HR department in various areas like: Staff Recruitment, Orientation & Onboarding, Staff Records Management & filing, HR Logistics & Events and will directly report to Educate! HR Manager.
Africa has the world’s youngest and fastest-growing population. By 2035, the continent is poised to contribute more people to the global workforce each year than the rest of the world combined.
At Educate! we're obsessed with impact. We leverage iterative learning to build highly scalable youth employment solutions aimed at unlocking the potential of the world’s youngest continent.
Educate! prepares youth in Africa learn, earn and thrive in today’s economy by:
1) introducing an employment-focused school subject into secondary, and
2) delivering livelihood bootcamps for out-of-school youth, with a focus on marginalized rural girls and young women.
To date, more than 250,000 youth have been meaningfully impacted across Uganda, Rwanda, and Kenya, and along the way, Educate! has become the largest youth employment and skills provider in East Africa.
Educate! is a team of over 250 largely African staff and 300 volunteer youth mentors. We prioritize building an engaging, fulfilling and growth oriented work environment. 50% of our top 30 leaders have been with us for over 5 years, 10+ alumni have started their own organizations and 6 current or former team members were Acumen Fund East Africa fellows.
We have been backed by top foundations such as Imaginable Futures, Big Bang Philanthropy, #startsmall, Generation Unlimited, CIFF and Echidna Giving. Educate! won a 2018 Klaus J. Jacobs Prize and a 2015 WISE Award, and has been highlighted by the World Bank’s S4YE's Impact Portfolio, an Al Jazeera documentary, BBC, The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies on scaling education, and the Gates Foundation as a Goalkeepers Accelerator. In 2022, we received a catalytic investment from philanthropist Mackenzie Scott to scale our systems change work.
Educate!'s long-term vision is to design solutions that measurably impact millions of youth across Africa each year. By 2025, we aim to scale our annual reach by 4x and measurably impact over 400,000 new youth.
- HR Record Keeping & Procedures (35%)
- Employee Benefits Administration (30%)
- HR Recruitment & Logistics Support (20%)
- Volunteer and Work Facilitation Management (15%)
HR Record Keeping & Procedures
- Keep up-to-date files for all staff including all HR related documents, contracts, addendums, disciplinary records, training and development, leave records, promotional scorecards, Employee Request Forms (ERF) etc.
- Verify on a regular basis that staff information in the HR report is consistent with hard copy file records, and report any discrepancies to the SHRO.
- Scan and store in soft copy all staff contract
- Leave tracker is up to date and accessible by all Managers; and all staff are informed about their leave days status.
- In collaboration with supervisors, support staff exiting staff to ensure a fully signed handover checklist before their last day of work. Ensure filing of resignation notices and handover checklist.
- Update staff master staff list as and when there are staff changes including but not limited to exits, new joiners, position changes etc.
- Verify available leave days, receive and file approved leave forms in respective staff personnel files
- Update the leave tracker on Google drive on a monthly basis and share the tracker with SHRO
- In liaison with SHRO, ensure that all mentor fellow related documents are fully signed and properly filed.
- Close staff files according to exit procedure and checklist & ensure staff leaving complete handover checklist with all departments
- Update all mentor recruitment and management procedures, mentor handbook and other HR related procedures in the PO and YL Manuals.
- Support the SHRO in creating and/or updating leave procedures, HR department new staff orientation procedure, staff exit and clearance procedure and other procedures as and when deemed necessary.
- Ensure all mentors have fully signed agreements on file.
- Draft mentor recommendation letters and update mentor recommendation letter tracker.
Employee Benefits Administration
- Create awareness of Educate! benefits to all staff on a regular basis.
- Work in collaboration with the SHRO in the renewal of medical insurance, GPA with preferred providers annually & update the medical insurance list and GPA list with drops and new staff or mentors as and when they happen.
- Maintain contact between the medical insurance provider, GPA service provider and Educate! to solve queries, ensure staff have medical cards and all staff/mentors are covered on GPA at all times.
- Support staff in accessing or applying for staff benefits like salary advances, bereavement support etc.
- In liaison with SHRO,Coordinate the cultural tenets awards nominations for all Educate! staff, and organize an end of year party.
- Communicate in a timely manner announcements related to bereavement, new born babies to E! Staff, new staff etc.
- Collection of contributions from staff following bereavement announcements or new born babies announcements
- Schedule, coordinate celebration of staff birthdays, department dinners and in office and in the field on a termly basis.
- Lead and coordinate support when staff celebrate weddings, introductions and any other such social events.
- Coordinate baby showers for staff both in office and field.
HR Recruitment & Logistics Support
- Support SHRO in screening applications and filing all recruitment documentation received.
- Process, and follow through on any HR department related payments e.g. professional services, Group Personal Accidents, Medical insurance, scholarships, and any other such payments.
- Work with SHRO to procure Mentor and Staff Identity Cards and Business Cards
- Procurement of cards and print out of all staff photos for existing staff.
- Support in coordinating logistics (care package ad lunches) during new staff orientation weeks and the termly departmental dinners
- Coordinate to ensure termly achievements celebrations, birthday celebrations and departmental dinners happen and the relevant logistics availed in a timely manner.
- HR department liaison point in supporting the implementation of a mother friendly work environment in light of the E! gender related policies.
- Support SHRO in coordinating MMMM monthly, reach out to the guests and ensure their logistics are provided.
- Lead in ensuring logistics related to baby showers, care packages for new mothers are delivered in a timely manner.
Volunteer and Work Facilitation Management
- In liaison with SHRO ,prepare all the documents required to process work permits for Non- East African International staff and submit to the service provider in time
- In collaboration with the SHRO officer, prepare and file applications for special passes for all international staff and work permits for East Africans.
- Keep an up to date tracker of work permit/special pass start and end dates to inform on timelines for re-applying.
- Share updates on new immigration laws and inform international staff and SHRO.
- In liaison with the SHRO & administration officer, ensure that tools for work for new staff are available on their first day of work.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Human Resource Management, Administration or Social work
- 1-2 years’ experience in Administration and Management with preference to Human Resource Management.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills.
- Exemplifies Educate! Culture—only solves a problem once, always learning, flexible & open minded, giving youth experience drives everything you do, exceeds expectations in your work.
- Proven ability to be a trainer of trainers – to coach, advise and support young mentors to empower their students.
- Event management skills—including the ability to keep track of multiple activities, planning, and mobilizing resources in a timely and efficient manner.
- Strong organizational, writing and communication skills, explaining clear expectations, having attention to detail, and providing clear written communication in a timely manner.
- Influence without authority—Demonstrated ability to contribute effectively as a member of a team and persuasive in promoting Educate! program and values to students, teachers, administrators, government, and community members.
- Salary is commensurate with experience
- Location is Kampala, Uganda.
What Is Educate! About?
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We put Youth First, Impact-Obsessed - We never forget that Educate! exists to impact youth. We are purpose-driven. We obsess over impact daily and if it doesn’t lead to impact, we want nothing to do with it. We prioritize interacting with and listening to youth. We design and manage the organization to ensure every dollar creates transformative experiences that youth value.
- We Exceed Expectations - We take pride in going above and beyond to achieve the best results. When we know what needs to be done, we do it. We don’t wait to be asked and we don’t stop at what is asked of us. We look for solutions as much as we identify problems.
- We Are Always Learning - We are committed to seeking and applying new knowledge and ideas. We stay open-minded. We know there is always another way and we are excited to learn about it. We continuously look for resources of all kinds from multiple disciplines. We try new things, experiment, grow, and improve. We invest in learning for ourselves and our teams.
- We are One Team, Many Views - We say what we think while treating each other well. We believe that all people have the same inherent value and that diverse ideas and open dialogue fuel excellence. We constantly strive to create an environment where everyone can and does express themselves freely. We support and respect each other as people and colleagues. We act as one team: We prioritize the organization's mission and goals over team or individual goals.
- We have the Startup Mindset - We will always keep innovating to grow our impact. We aspire to be game-changing. We never think “we have arrived” or “we’re done.” We question the status quo in our industry. We move fast and embrace change to move towards our long-term vision. We’re not afraid of failure. We interrogate anything that slows us down.
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the executive director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.
Child Safeguarding: Educate! is committed to child-safe/youth-safe recruitment, selection and screening. Our recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to the safety and protection of children in our programs. The successful candidate will be required to provide a satisfactory Certificate of Good Conduct as a condition of employment. We reserve the right to decline to offer employment to an individual or terminate an employment contract with an employee that may pose a risk to children and youth.