Field Operations Coordinator - Uganda
Educate!, an award winning non-profit social enterprise, is looking for a self-driven, highly enterprising, and enthusiastic candidate to fill the Field Operations Coordinator - Position (1) in Uganda. The successful candidate will join our high performing Field Operations Team.
Educate! prides in creating impact and spreading this impact to thousands more youth across the Country. The Field Operations Coordinator will be reporting to the Senior Field Operations Manager, The Field Operations Coordinator is responsible for VIP bootcamp field logistics and also the VIP allocation and mentor list. The Coordinator will be directly in charge of the mentor help line, ensure that mentor concerns are addressed in a timely manner, and also ensure that there is swift coordination across the program implementation department. He/she will play an oversight role in mentor recruitment, mentor tracking, and database oversight.
The right candidate for this opportunity should be excited about working with young and ambitious youth, self-driven, passionate about our mission of creating leaders and entrepreneurs in Africa, and committed to being part of a high performing team!
Africa has the world’s youngest and fastest-growing population. By 2035, the continent is poised to contribute more people to the global workforce each year than the rest of the world combined.
At Educate! we're obsessed with impact. We leverage iterative learning to build highly scalable youth employment solutions aimed at unlocking the potential of the world’s youngest continent.
Educate! prepares youth in Africa learn, earn and thrive in today’s economy by:
1) introducing an employment-focused school subject into secondary, and
2) delivering livelihood bootcamps for out-of-school youth, with a focus on marginalized rural girls and young women.
To date, more than 250,000 youth have been meaningfully impacted across Uganda, Rwanda, and Kenya, and along the way, Educate! has become the largest youth employment and skills provider in East Africa.
Educate! is a team of over 250 largely African staff and 300 volunteer youth mentors. We prioritize building an engaging, fulfilling and growth oriented work environment. 50% of our top 30 leaders have been with us for over 5 years, 10+ alumni have started their own organizations and 6 current or former team members were Acumen Fund East Africa fellows.
We have been backed by top foundations such as Imaginable Futures, Big Bang Philanthropy, #startsmall, Generation Unlimited, CIFF and Echidna Giving. Educate! won a 2018 Klaus J. Jacobs Prize and a 2015 WISE Award, and has been highlighted by the World Bank’s S4YE's Impact Portfolio, an Al Jazeera documentary, BBC, The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies on scaling education, and the Gates Foundation as a Goalkeepers Accelerator. In 2022, we received a catalytic investment from philanthropist Mackenzie Scott to scale our systems change work.
Educate!'s long-term vision is to design solutions that measurably impact millions of youth across Africa each year. By 2025, we aim to scale our annual reach by 4x and measurably impact over 400,000 new youth.
- Field Logistics coordination (50%)
- Mentor Recruitment Oversight (30%)
- Mentor Performance oversight(20%)
- Mentor Help Line (20%)
Field Logistics coordination (50%)
- Process field requisitions in a timely manner.
- Ensure that Airtime for the implementation of VIP boot camp are disbursed in a timely manner.
- Work with Field teams to ensure that advances are fully accounted for according to E! finance procedures.
- Plan & ensure that Mentor stipends are disbursed as per program stipend schedule.
- Keep track & work towards timely delivery of field materials delivered to mentors & YLs as per the program schedule.
- Take lead in the VIP allocation & reallocation process and ensure that all VIPs are allocated as per the need.
- Update VIP bootcamp mentor list at all times and share with VIP bootcamp management team.
- Maintain a mentor database, track Mentor drops, and update the mentor backup database at all times.
Mentor Recruitment Oversight (30%)
- Take lead in the mentor recruitment strategy & ensure that the strategy is aligned to the current mentor needs
- Ensure that mentor list is up to date & shared on a weekly with other departments
- Work with the MRO to track mentor number & mentor drops & also ensure that mentor drops are reported on a timely manner
- Collect & document mentor paperwork & ensure that it is well documented
- Liaise with MRO to mobilize mentors for Induction & onboarding & ensure that mentors present approved parental approval form during Induction
- Create mentor unique Identity code using the sales force system & share with all mentors
- Upload & update mentor information on the sales force system
- Collaborate with the implementation team to support new mentor onboarding, track drops & reporting.
Mentor Performance oversight (20%)
- Collaborate with performance metrics to ensure that the mentor performance tracking system is set up & able to provide an up to date mentor performance report at all times
- Work with M&E to ensure that teams are trained on mentor KPIS and KPIs are constantly updated as per program targets
- Liaise with implementation to identify mentor training gaps & support the training during the induction and during the course of the the program implementation cycle
- Work with MRO to ensure that mentors fully understand their performance deliverables on a termly basis
- Ensure that mentor performance feedback are provided to mentors on a timely manner
- Spearhead the process of producing the final mentor performance report & ensure that the report is submitted to Implementation team by close of program cycle
Mentor Help Line (20%)
- Co-lead monthly capacity building plan review
- Lead Training of trainersfor POs and PCs
- Run sampled quality check ins for trainings and document feedback
- Research best practices for improving virtual capacity and training and implement with team
- Collect training needs and update plan time to time
- Coordinate with other departments to reconcile resource needs for teams including support tools like airtime, internet and equipment.
- Coordinate schedule for trainings with PCs and POs for smooth training quality and attendance
- Run termly Youth Leaders trainings on basic ICT packages to hence their comprehension of the ICT packages and their reporting skills
- Work towards addressing the reporting challenges through liaising with the M&E department by heightening the coaching levels of the Youth Leaders in the Region
- Liaise with D&I to organize capacity building Trainings for the Youth Leaders.
- Create a feedback system to support Programs, D&I and M&E departments to establish skills gaps and develop tailored training content for the Youth leaders.
- Work closely with the Youth Leaders to support them in their growth areas with intent to reduce their skills gap in executing their role in reporting and mentor management.
- Lead regional in person or virtual induction preparations, implementations and evaluations includes; collaborating with design on scheduling, leading ToTs, coordination of feedback and troubleshooting.
- Bachelor’s degree in any business course with at least 3 years of professional experience.
- At least 2 years experience in development work (NGO, Schools, Youth related work, Volunteers/Interns, School Practices, Church) directly managing a diverse team of at least 7 people.
- Proficiency with MS Office Suite, with excellent MS Word and Excel skills, Power point, Email, google drive etc.
- Experience working within the education sector in East Africa preferred.
- Experience leading a team, managing finances, program reporting.
- Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills
- Excellent Strategic Skills
- Excellent Project Planning and Problem-solving skills
- Must have knowledge in Finance and taxation
- Experience in leading and coaching a team
- Thoroughness when accomplishing tasks and paying attention to detail
- Systems oriented, high integrity
- Excellent customer service, general management and strong personality.
- Experience in multitasking in a fast – paced environment, set priorities, work independently as well as thrive a team.
- Fits our Five Cultural Tenets (see What is Educate! About? below); Learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here
- Salary is commensurate with experience
- Attractive Benefits & Perks including Medical Insurance.
- Location is Kampala, Uganda.
What Is Educate! About?
- What Is Educate! About?ence during the whole recruitment exercise.
- Conduct reference checks; prepare a summary report of interviews held and share with all relevant stakeholders including but not limited to the HR Manager, the hiring team and Country Director.
- Make offers to successful candidates and collect all relevant documents at time of recruitment of new staff before their first date of work.
- Prepare contracts for all new staff, staff in new positions and contract addendum for staff contract changes and ensure timely signing of contracts.
- Ensure that probationary clauses in the new staff contracts are duly signed after the probationary period.
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We put Youth First, Impact-Obsessed - We never forget that Educate! exists to impact youth. We are purpose-driven. We obsess over impact daily and if it doesn’t lead to impact, we want nothing to do with it. We prioritize interacting with and listening to youth. We design and manage the organization to ensure every dollar creates transformative experiences that youth value.
- We Exceed Expectations - We take pride in going above and beyond to achieve the best results. When we know what needs to be done, we do it. We don’t wait to be asked and we don’t stop at what is asked of us. We look for solutions as much as we identify problems.
- We Are Always Learning - We are committed to seeking and applying new knowledge and ideas. We stay open-minded. We know there is always another way and we are excited to learn about it. We continuously look for resources of all kinds from multiple disciplines. We try new things, experiment, grow, and improve. We invest in learning for ourselves and our teams.
- We are One Team, Many Views - We say what we think while treating each other well. We believe that all people have the same inherent value and that diverse ideas and open dialogue fuel excellence. We constantly strive to create an environment where everyone can and does express themselves freely. We support and respect each other as people and colleagues. We act as one team: We prioritize the organization's mission and goals over team or individual goals.
- We have the Startup Mindset - We will always keep innovating to grow our impact. We aspire to be game-changing. We never think “we have arrived” or “we’re done.” We question the status quo in our industry. We move fast and embrace change to move towards our long-term vision. We’re not afraid of failure. We interrogate anything that slows us down.
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the executive director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.
Child Safeguarding: Educate! is committed to child-safe/youth-safe recruitment, selection and screening. Our recruitment and selection procedures reflect our commitment to the safety and protection of children in our programs. The successful candidate will be required to provide a satisfactory Certificate of Good Conduct as a condition of employment. We reserve the right to decline to offer employment to an individual or terminate an employment contract with an employee that may pose a risk to children and youth.