Learning Experience Design & Training Associate_Uganda
Educate!, a fast-growing and award-winning social enterprise, is seeking a learning Experience Design & Training Associate to contribute to Product Design Support while adhering at all times to set guidelines. You will participate in Learning Curriculum Materials Design for Program Components, Design Content training, Product quality assurance and user-research on youth needs & LEC content to inform product among others to support our growth and scale as we work towards our organizational vision of measurably impacting millions of students across Africa each year. You will report to the Product Design and Learning Manager.
Sound like you or someone you know? Read below, visit our careers page to learn more about Educate!,
By 2035, Africa will contribute more people to the workforce each year than the rest of the world combined. Educate! leverages an obsession with evidence and iterative learning to tackle one of our planet's greatest challenges — unlocking the potential of its youngest continent.
Educate! prepares youth in Africa with the skills to succeed in today’s economy. We've created a 100-hour experience that delivers the most essential skills youth need to transition to work, combining training, mentorship, and practical experience starting a business. We deliver this experience to youth in 3 ways: directly to schools, integrated into education systems, and through boot camps for out-of-school youth.
All three delivery channels have been validated by several independent evaluations, and to date, more than 200,000 youth have been meaningfully impacted by this model across Uganda, Rwanda, and Kenya. Along the way, Educate! has become the largest youth skills provider in East Africa.
Educate! is a team of over 210 largely African staff and 300 volunteer youth mentors. We prioritize building an engaging, fulfilling and growth oriented work environment. 50% of our top 30 leaders have been with us for over 5 years, 10+ alumni have started their own organizations and 6 current or former team members were Acumen Fund East Africa
We have been backed by top foundations such as Imaginable Futures, Big Bang Philanthropy, #startsmall, and Echidna Giving. Educate! won a 2018 Klaus J. Jacobs Prize and a 2015 WISE Award, and has been highlighted by the World Bank’s S4YE's Impact Portfolio, an Al Jazeera documentary, BBC, The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies on scaling education, and the Gates Foundation as a Goalkeepers Accelerator. In 2022, we received a catalytic investment from philanthropist Mackenzie Scott to scale our systems change work.
Educate!'s long-term vision is to design solutions that measurably impact millions of youth across Africa each year. By 2025, we aim to scale our annual reach by 4x and measurably impact over 400,000 new youth with the essential skills they need to succeed in life.
Curriculum Materials Design for Program Components - 50%
- Offer support to timely, quality session design as assigned.
- Lead design and implementation of induction ToTs for Program Officers and Youth Leaders.
- Supporting other departments with content design as and when needed.
- Collect user feedback to inform product design.
- Lead on CellEd script writing and offers timely and quality script recording support for the different characters that may be assigned.
- Offer support to timely quality session design as assigned.
- Support Design Hub as and when needed or requested by the hub leads
- Offer support to global design session and Design Hub priorities as assigned
Design Content training - 20%
- Support on Mentor training & Induction through session observations plus training quality assurance
- Undertake and complete the design skill capacity building programs in the Design Hub
- Provide feedback to trainers to ensure high quality facilitation standards.
- Build Learning Mentor Support system through scripting and voicing of lessons for the mentors- delivered online through WhatsApp
- Share monthly facilitation tips on Design Products with mentors through Peer circles and mentor mass communication channels.
- Take a lead on small experiments and monitor implementation to ensure quality experiment design delivery.
- Document the experiment's implementation journey, meeting notes, decisions and iterations to support future reference.
- Provide updates on the experiment's implementation progress including obstacles and proposed solutions to overcome them to D&L Manager
Product quality assurance Tracking & Learning & data analysis 20%
- Observation of program delivery to inform quality control.
- Proposing design changes based on learnings from program implementation.
- Leading retrospective/ post mortem meetings for different program Products.
- Documentation of program design changes overtime.
- Observing quality of virtual training inline with established training frameworks like FASTER, IS STUCK etc.
- Organizing, implementing, and reporting on learning panels with end users such as scholars and Mentors.
- Organizing, and coordinating the implementation of program learning and documentation through the Internal Advisory Board IAB
Learning and Data Analysis
- Participate in the design, and coordination of the Program Learning Agenda.
- Draft survey questions and share feedback for learning plus incorporate feedback for the program model improvement.
- Design learning tools for data collection including surveys through google forms.
- Conduct surveys with the selected sample group within the required timelines while liaising with other departments for logistics and other resources needed for the activities.
- Analyze both quantitative and qualitative data and report on the same for learning purposes.
- Proactively build team capacity by delegation of new tasks and training to close capacity gaps.
- Support in coordinating and organizing implementation of small program experiments
User-research on youth needs & LEC content to inform product-10%
- Assessing the current product needs gaps within the department to ensure youth are developing/starting strong businesses.
- Liaise and communicate with managers and recommend potential programs based on the departmental needs in line with the learning agenda.
- Designing and developing innovative training programs that are specifically targeted at helping the workforce reach their maximum potential.
- Participating in impact unit team meetings while tracking the results and maintaining detailed records of the designed product.
- Making new recommendations as new data is unearthed on the dashboard for continual training improvement and refinement.
- Coach junior designers to boost their capacity in research and development to ensure that the EARN,SAVE,ACT framework is achieved with evidence of youth business start-ups
- Degree in Education or related professional qualifications.
- Minimum of 2 years of work with Learning Experience Design working in a fast paced environment
- Comfortable working with data analysis and writing reports
- Strong orientation to team culture and cross-functional work
- Excellent interpersonal and communication abilities; exceptional listening, written and verbal skills.
- Excellent in delivering trainings
- Experience in conducting experiments and A/B prototypes
- Ability to conduct user research and development to inform products
- A strong combination of innovativeness and creativity with a keen eye for detail.
- A good fit with our Five Cultural Tenets (see “What is Educate! About?” Below; learn more by looking at Educate!’s culture deck here.
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey in their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We put Youth First, Impact-Obsessed - We never forget that Educate! exists to impact youth. We are purpose-driven. We obsess over impact daily and if it doesn’t lead to impact, we want nothing to do with it. We prioritize interacting with and listening to youth. We design and manage the organization to ensure every dollar creates transformative experiences that youth value.
- We Exceed Expectations - We take pride in going above and beyond to achieve the best results. When we know what needs to be done, we do it. We don’t wait to be asked and we don’t stop at what is asked of us. We look for solutions as much as we identify problems.
- We Are Always Learning - We are committed to seeking and applying new knowledge and ideas. We stay open-minded. We know there is always another way and we are excited to learn about it. We continuously look for resources of all kinds from multiple disciplines. We try new things, experiment, grow, and improve. We invest in learning for ourselves and our teams.
- We are One Team, Many Views - We say what we think while treating each other well. We believe that all people have the same inherent value and that diverse ideas and open dialogue fuel excellence. We constantly strive to create an environment where everyone can and does express themselves freely. We support and respect each other as people and colleagues.
- We have the Startup Mindset - We will always keep innovating to grow our impact. We aspire to be game-changing. We never think “we have arrived” or “we’re done.” We question the status quo in our industry. We move fast and embrace change to move towards our long-term vision. We’re not afraid of failure. We interrogate anything that slows us down.
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the executive director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.
Deadline for sending applications is Friday 15th, December 2023.