Senior Associate, Field Survey Management
Educate! is seeking a driven, organized, and collaborative Senior Associate, Field Survey Management to execute and manage evaluation projects. In ten years of operating in East Africa, one of Educate!’s differentiating factors has been our commitment to impact evaluation and learning, and we believe that continuing to invest in research & development is a key component of continued growth and innovation. As a Senior Associate- Field Survey Management, you’ll work closely with our Technical evaluation lead, as well as with our programs, design, and innovation teams, to implement our ambitious evaluation strategy in Uganda. The ideal candidate will be based in Kampala, Uganda.
The right person for this role has experience in coordinating data collection and large teams of enumerators. He/she has knowledge on programming: google forms, survey CTO, and has the ability to use statistical software: Stata and excel. You’ll be an ultra-organized and self-motivated planner and project manager, capable of keeping multiple balls in the air with limited supervision, and a collaborative team player who can build relationships with a diverse range of stakeholders and engage team members over whom you won’t have direct authority. You’ll also have knowledge in large-scale data collection, and quantitative analysis.
What if there was a way to measurably change the trajectory of the lives of youth across Africa? Since its launch in 2009, Educate! has worked to do just this, delivering outsized impacts at scale and at disproportionately low cost, through a product-led approach to youth development. As a disruptive, not-for-profit, social enterprise, our team leverages an obsession with evidence and entrepreneurial drive to tackle one our planet's greatest challenges - unlocking the potential of its youngest continent.
Educate!’s core model combines training in key skills with access to practical experience starting a business and mentorship, a formula that has been validated by several independent evaluations. This model is distributed through products targeting two lead channels. First, Educate! works with governments to help reform education systems at scale through policy change, teacher behavior change and tech-enabled products targeting systems-level sustainability, while also working directly with select schools. Second, Educate! builds employment-focused bootcamps and business support services targeting out-of-school youth left out of the education system. To date, more than 200,000 youth have been meaningfully impacted by this model across Uganda, Rwanda and Kenya and along the way Educate! has become the largest youth skills provider in East Africa.
Educate! is a team of over 160 largely African staff and 300 volunteer youth mentors. We have been backed by top foundations and product leaders such as Imaginable Futures, Big Bang Philanthropy, Echoing Green, the 1st Google Employee’s foundation, the head of Google Search and Rippleworks Foundation. Educate! won a 2018 Klaus J. Jacobs Prize and a 2015 WISE Award, and has been highlighted by Bill Gates, in the World Bank’s S4YE's Impact Portfolio, an Al Jazeera documentary, BBC, and The Brookings Institution as one of 14 case studies in their global scaling education learning initiative. Educate! was also selected by the UN’s Generation Unlimited as 1 of 20 innovative youth solutions and by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation as a Goalkeepers Accelerator.
Educate!'s long-term vision is to design solutions that measurably impact millions of youth across Africa each year.
Data collection coordination
- Data collection preparation and planning- create data collection project plans and ensure data is collected, cleaned and ready for analysis according to agreed up on timelines
- Coordinate and oversee primary data collection for evaluations
- Regularly update the evaluation team on the progress of product evaluation and data collection activities
Survey programming and testing
- Collaborate with TEL, Evaluation Associates and Senior Associates in designing forms for electronic data collection (using Survey CTO)
- Develop and execute survey piloting plans, packing learnings from tests and presenting them to the wider team with recommendations for updates
- Coordinate enumerator hiring processes and maintain a database of enumerator performance across data collection exercises
- Develop training protocols and materials to train enumerator to collect data
- Train enumerators on various quantitative and qualitative instruments
- Supervise teams of enumerators during primary data collection
Data management and quality assurance
- Manage and organize incoming survey data, ensuring data is clean and analyzable
- Ensure all data quality protocols are followed including auditing staff and performing regular data checks on collected data
- Manage all data security aspects, including protection of PII from unauthorized access and use
- Maintain and constantly update evaluation function filing system and other evaluation documentation
- Education: Bachelor’s degree in education, economics, statistics, public policy, or other quantitative social science disciplines
- Quantitative Skills: Strong technical understanding of data management, experience in statistics, econometrics or data science preferred
- Experience with qualitative data collection and management preferred.
- Demonstrated proficiency in the use of statistical software such as Stata or R for data management and data cleaning
- A minimum of 1 year of work experience is required. Experience managing field staff and/or large data sets strongly preferred
- Excellent management and organizational skills; ability to successfully complete assigned tasks and meet deadlines required
- Communication skills: strong oral and written communication skills in English required
- This position will be based in Kampala, Uganda and women are highly encouraged to apply
- Fits our Five Cultural Tenets (see What is Educate! About? below); Learn more about Educate! culture here
What Is Educate! About?
We’re ambitious. Are you? Educate! is growing fast, so new opportunities are opening up and expanding all the time. We’re inspired by people with drive, and we love to help them reach their full potential. We expect everyone at Educate! to contribute above and beyond their job description, grow their skills, and advance their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey. their careers, and we are committed to supporting our staff members on that journey.
- We put Youth First, Impact-Obsessed - We never forget that Educate! exists to impact youth. We are purpose-driven. We obsess over impact daily and if it doesn’t lead to impact, we want nothing to do with it. We prioritize interacting with and listening to youth. We design and manage the organization to ensure every dollar creates transformative experiences that youth value.
- We Exceed Expectations - We take pride in going above and beyond to achieve the best results. When we know what needs to be done, we do it. We don’t wait to be asked and we don’t stop at what is asked of us. We look for solutions as much as we identify problems.
- We Are Always Learning - We are committed to seeking and applying new knowledge and ideas. We stay open-minded. We know there is always another way and we are excited to learn about it. We continuously look for resources of all kinds from multiple disciplines. We try new things, experiment, grow, and improve. We invest in learning for ourselves and our teams.
- We are One Team, Many Views - We say what we think while treating each other well. We believe that all people have the same inherent value and that diverse ideas and open dialogue fuel excellence. We constantly strive to create an environment where everyone can and does express themselves freely. We support and respect each other as people and colleagues.
- We have the Startup Mindset - We will always keep innovating to grow our impact. We aspire to be game-changing. We never think “we have arrived” or “we’re done.” We question the status quo in our industry. We move fast and embrace change to move towards our long-term vision. We’re not afraid of failure. We interrogate anything that slows us down.
Every person at Educate! — from interns to the executive director — is evaluated by how they live up to these five cultural tenets. They are at the core of how we achieve our mission and why we work as well as we do.
Educate is committed to providing an inclusive and welcoming environment for all who interact in our community. In creating this environment, we encourage people from a variety of cultures, backgrounds and life experiences to join our diverse team.