Senior Software Engineer, Backend (Core Product)
Software Engineering, Product
Posted on Thursday, January 11, 2024
Our Mission and Opportunity
Early education is one of the greatest determinants of childhood outcomes, is a must for working families, and has a lasting social and economic impact. Brightwheel’s vision is to enable high quality early education for every child — by giving teachers meaningfully more time with students each day, engaging parents in the development of their kids, and supporting the small businesses that make up the backbone of the $175 billion early education market. Brightwheel is the most loved technology brand in early education globally, trusted by thousands of educators and millions of families.
We are a fully remote team with employees across every time zone in the US. Our team is passionate, talented, and customer-focused. Our exceptional investor group includes Addition, Bessemer Venture Partners, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, GGV Capital, Lowercase Capital, Emerson Collective, and Mark Cuban.
We believe that everyone—from our employees to the students, teachers, and administrators we serve— should be given the opportunity to learn and thrive, whatever their background may be. We celebrate diversity in all forms because it allows our team and the communities we serve to reach their full potential and do their best work.
Who you are
We are seeking a senior software engineer who is technically well-rounded and passionate about their code's positive impact on people's lives. At Brightwheel, product engineers work closely with product and design and other business areas to deliver a platform that meets our teachers’ and parents’ biggest needs.
Every engineer at Brightwheel is afforded a high degree of ownership and autonomy. We are a lean, fast-moving team and value individuals who can optimize for being impactful while considering both technical and business drivers. You’ll bring a high degree of ownership and ability to execute.
What you'll do
- Work alongside product and design to scope and implement new features or product lines
- Share input on delivery and discovery–providing the team with new ideas, proposals, and constructive criticism
- Be a steward of quality, scalability, security, and performance. You'll work with other engineers to ensure that we have a solid foundation that serves our customers and enables the team to continue building a great product
- Design and architect new software systems, or introduce new technologies as appropriate, to support Brightwheel’s growth
- Share knowledge and expertise across the engineering team
Qualifications, Skills, & Abilities:
- 5+ years of professional experience, preferably in dynamic companies/teams
- Proficiency in both contributing to and designing APIs using Ruby on Rails
- Expertise in writing automated tests (unit/integration/functional)
- Expertise in using Git (or VC equivalent)
- Experience with a variety of codebase sizes and age
- Experience with microservice or service-oriented architectures
- Experience with modern webapps like React.js preferred
- Experience with Infrastructure as Code (IaC) preferred
- Ruby on Rails
- GitHub Actions
- AWS-managed services, like Redshift and ECS
Candidates with varying backgrounds are encouraged to apply. We do not require prior knowledge of technologies in our stack, only a desire to learn them. At brightwheel, you may encounter:
Brightwheel is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.