Senior iOS Engineer
Posted on Friday, August 18, 2023
Our Mission and Opportunity
Early education is one of the greatest determinants of childhood outcomes, is a must for working families, and has a lasting social and economic impact. Brightwheel’s vision is to enable high quality early education for every child — by giving teachers meaningfully more time with students each day, engaging parents in the development of their kids, and supporting the small businesses that make up the backbone of the $175 billion early education market. Brightwheel is the most loved technology brand in early education globally, trusted by thousands of educators and millions of families.
We are a fully remote team with employees across every time zone in the US. Our team is passionate, talented, and customer-focused. Our exceptional investor group includes Addition, Bessemer Venture Partners, Chan Zuckerberg Initiative, GGV Capital, Lowercase Capital, Emerson Collective, and Mark Cuban.
We believe that everyone—from our employees to the students, teachers, and administrators we serve— should be given the opportunity to learn and thrive, whatever their background may be. We celebrate diversity in all forms because it allows our team and the communities we serve to reach their full potential and do their best work.
Who You Are
Brightwheel is seeking an experienced Senior iOS Engineer to join the mobile team. You will be part of a team responsible for maintaining and improving our mobile platform architecture, while also collaborating with other Product Engineering teams to build user-facing products and features. You are comfortable taking into consideration both technical and business drivers to most efficiently deliver value. Most importantly, you are eager to have the opportunity to do all of this in a dynamic startup environment where scrappiness, flexibility, and creativity will be required every single day.
What You’ll Do
- Develop software solutions for complex product engineering projects towards a business goal; ship software that matters to our customers and our company
- Be a steward of quality, scalability, and performance. You'll work on projects to ensure that we have a solid foundation that serves our customers and enables the team to continue building a great product
- Design and architect new software systems or introduce new technologies, as appropriate, to support brightwheel's growth
- Improve engineering velocity by implementing best practices and frameworks; improve coding efficiency and quality across the team
- Proactively identify and diagnose issues of reliability and performance; rapidly deploy code to address issues
- Drive sound, data-driven decision-making; analyze data insights to uncover opportunities to improve architecture for a great customer experience
- Implement excellence in engineering processes & culture across teams
- Collaborate with product and engineering teams effectively and with empathy; promote technical learning across teams
- Mentor peers and junior engineers. Build trust and respect in the team
- Interview and evaluate engineering candidates' technical capabilities to help grow our engineering team
Qualifications, Technical Skills
- You must have 3+ years of professional experience working with iOS development in a fast-moving team setting
- You must have deep technical knowledge of the iOS development stack and its frameworks
- You must have 2+ years of professional Swift development experience
- You must have familiarity with objective-c development
- You should be confident in onboarding yourself to a project and operate with little guidance but know when to ask for help
- You should be comfortable designing and/or consuming REST APIs
- You should have experience with reactive programming using RxSwift
Qualifications, Essential People Skills
- You focus on business impact, and successful outcomes for you and your team, and seek ways to continuously improve.
- You make pragmatic technology choices at work and make time to learn in your slack time whenever appropriate.
- You care deeply about your work and know how your attitude affects those around you; it’s obvious you’re having fun with your work and peers.
- You experiment with many different types of development and project methodologies and have a healthy appreciation for what works; you drive engineering process and culture improvements
- You focus on clear and concise communication because you understand it’s the most significant responsibility of your job as an engineer.
- You love to teach and learn from your peers.
Brightwheel is committed to creating a diverse and inclusive work environment and is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.