Self Directed Learning Skills Lab Facilitator (Coordinator)
African Leadership University
ALU provides higher education for a higher purpose. Our students declare missions, not majors. They develop the real-world skills to take on the world’s most pressing challenges. And they take ownership of their learning from day one through our peer and student-led approach – because ALU believes in the power and agency of young people to start shaping the future right now. Together with a world-class faculty and staff, our students are igniting a ripple of positive impact across Africa and the world. Our mission is not going unnoticed. CNN described ALU — which has campuses in Mauritius and Rwanda — as “The Harvard of Africa;” Fast Company ranked ALU one of the 50 most innovative organizations in the world and the most innovative endeavor in Africa; and The New York Times recognized ALU as one of the eight places in the world “where history is being made.” Join us.
HOW WE WORK
As a high-growth start-up, the ALU Team works in starkly different ways to traditional academic bureaucracies. We approach education from first principles, empower individuals to design, test, and implement creative new ideas, and work closely together to craft transformative learning experiences. We are deeply passionate about our students and excited by the challenge of building something entirely new.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As Self Directed Learning (SDL) Lab Coordinator you will be tasked with designing the lesson plans, self work and deliverables for Year 1 students’ Skills Lab. You will also manage the learning management system (Canvas) and ensure that all learning materials are migrated onto Canvas before the start of in-person sessions.
- Deliver the in-person student programme for each new intake and support in any redesign by providing feedback and implementing changes approved
- Create engaging learning activities and compelling self directed learning skills-focused content
- Work with Foundational Learning coaches to identify students’ learning needs to enhance the the quality of programme delivery
- Support the implementation and adoption of Canvas LMS for the students
- Collaboratively plan, design and revise learning material to meet ALU standards
- Develop precise analytical reports and identify areas for improvement for the SDL Lab
- Identify relevant databases and datasets that could support self directed learning and Foundation skills
- Bachelor’s degree in any subject area.
- Excellent communications (oral and written), interpersonal and presentation skills.
- Excellent facilitation skills (ability to ask open questions, elucidate participants' existing knowledge, and steer discussions)
- Excellent problem-solving skills with attention to detail.
- Excellent time management skills with the ability to multitask, prioritize work, and work independently.
- Demonstrate passion for education, modern learning theory and curriculum development
- Proficiency with learning management systems (Canvas)
- Possess agility and adaptability to a fast-paced working environment
- Receptive of a challenge and working beyond your comfort zone