Talent Acquisition Manager
African Leadership University
ALU provides higher education for a higher purpose. Our students declare missions, not majors.
They develop the real-world skills to take on the world’s most pressing challenges. And they take ownership of their learning from day one through our peer and student-led approach – because ALU believes in the power and agency of young people to start shaping the future right now.
Together with a world-class faculty and staff, our students are igniting a ripple of positive impact across Africa and the world.
HOW WE WORK
As a high-growth start-up, the ALU Team works in starkly different ways to traditional academic bureaucracies. We approach education from first principles, empower individuals to design, test, and implement creative new ideas, and work closely together to craft transformative learning experiences. We are deeply passionate about our students and excited by the challenge of building something entirely new.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The African Leadership University is an innovative educational institution operating with the agility and innovation of a startup. With campuses in Rwanda and Mauritius and a diverse team, including remote workers, we are committed to reshaping education in Africa.
Our ambition to redefine education and create a lasting impact in Africa and beyond demands a steadfast commitment to attracting and engaging top-tier talent. As we expand our academic programs and outreach efforts, the need to curate a talented workforce that mirrors our values, diversity, and innovation becomes increasingly paramount. To realize these ambitious goals, we are seeking a Talent Acquisition Manager, reporting to the VP of People and Culture, who will play a pivotal role in shaping the future of our university by identifying, engaging, and onboarding exceptional individuals who embody our values and contribute to our vibrant community.
This role requires a strategic approach to talent acquisition, a deep understanding of diverse recruitment strategies, and the ability to build relationships to drive the university's growth and position us as an employer of choice.
ABOUT THE TEAM
The People and Culture function plays a key role in supporting positive cultural change. The function consists of three departments; Talent Acquisition; People Operations ; Experience and Development .
You will report to the VP of People and Culture. You will be supported by and work closely with the People Operation Team responsible for offering administrative and business partnering support for the people and culture function, and collaborate with the Experience and development Associate Director to define and promote ALU’s employer value proposition.
- Strategic Recruitment Planning: Collaborate with the VP of People and Culture and department heads to develop and execute comprehensive talent acquisition strategies aligned with the university's growth plans and objectives.
- Full-cycle Recruitment: Manage the end-to-end recruitment process, including job postings, sourcing, screening, interviewing, and offer negotiation for various positions across the university.
- Employer Branding: Develop and promote the university's employer brand to attract top talent. Implement innovative approaches to enhance the university's reputation as an employer of choice.
- Diverse Sourcing Methods: Utilize various sourcing methods, including social media, networking, job boards, referrals, and partnerships with educational institutions to identify and engage with high-quality candidates.
- Candidate Experience: Ensure a positive and engaging candidate experience throughout the recruitment process, providing timely communication and feedback to candidates.
- Data-Driven Insights: Analyze recruitment metrics and provide regular reports to measure the effectiveness of recruitment strategies, identifying areas for improvement and optimization.
- Collaboration and Relationship Building: Foster strong relationships with hiring managers, departments, and external partners to understand their needs and provide strategic recruitment guidance.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Business Administration, or related field; Master's degree preferred.
- 5+ years of experience in talent acquisition or recruitment, preferably in an African university or education-related setting.
- Proven track record of managing full-cycle recruitment processes, including sourcing and attracting diverse talent for various roles.
- Strong understanding of modern recruitment tools, techniques, and best practices, including ATS (Applicant Tracking Systems) and HRIS platforms.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with the ability to build relationships and collaborate effectively across departments.
- Professional HR certification or a member of HR professional body
You will be a good fit if you:
- Are a strategic thinker: you have developed and executed long-term talent acquisition strategies aligned with the university's growth objectives. This includes foreseeing future talent needs and proactively planning recruitment initiatives.
- Are a relationship builder: you are skilled in building and nurturing relationships with internal stakeholders, department heads, and external partners to understand their needs, gain buy-in for recruitment strategies, and foster collaboration.
- Have a Data-Driven Mindset: you are proficient in analyzing recruitment metrics and utilizing data-driven insights to measure the effectiveness of strategies, identify trends, and optimize recruitment processes.
- Are resilient: We move fast, and things can change quickly, so you are not afraid of adapting to strategy changes and updates. You demonstrate tenacity and a willingness to go the distance to get things done
- Are a problem solver: you have the ability to address recruitment challenges creatively, adapting strategies to overcome obstacles and achieve recruitment goals.
- Have ethical and compliance awareness: you uphold ethical recruitment practices and maintain compliance with relevant employment laws and regulations, especially concerning diverse geographies and African HR policies.
- Are all about leadership and Team Collaboration: you are committed to working collaboratively within the HR team, contributing positively to a high-performing culture and providing leadership in achieving departmental and organizational goals.
- Are flexible to work irregular hours
Location : Mauritius / Rwanda. Remote possible for a candidate who would be willing to commit to a high travel rate. A competitive relocation package/support will be provided to the successful candidate.
If you're excited about revolutionizing education and possess the qualifications and expertise outlined above, we'd love to hear from you!