Campus Operations Associate
African Leadership University
ALU is re-imagining university education for the 21st century by applying an innovative approach to tertiary education. We are leveraging modern pedagogy, advanced education technology and global partnerships with leading employers and universities to provide a deeply engaging learning experience. We are building campuses across the continent to deliver this new model of higher education. Our first two campuses —Mauritius and Rwanda— are already open, as is the ALU School of Business and five other hubs in major cities across the continent. Our ultimate objective is to develop 3 million game-changing leaders for Africa and the world by 2060.
HOW WE WORK
As a high-growth start-up, the ALU Team approaches education from first principles, empowers individuals to design, test, and implement creative new ideas, and works closely together to craft transformative learning experiences. We are deeply passionate about our students and excited by the challenge of building something entirely new.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Campus Operations Associate supports the Campus Operations Department to ensure that all day-to-day activities on campus are clearly communicated to all stakeholders with clear policy and process structured to deliver operational excellence with timely delivery. In addition, the Operations Associate acts as an expert in all facilities related issue to provide the best possible experience for all ALU stakeholders.
The role of the Campus Operations Associate is to ensure the efficient functioning of the campus and manage all administrative requirements for the ALU campus. This also includes maintaining accurate records and tracking data related to the operations team to ensure that everything runs smoothly. We are seeking a Campus Operations Associate to support the daily operations of our ALU’s campus. The Campus Operations Associate will play a key role in ensuring that our facilities are safe, functional, and welcoming to students, staff, and visitors. This is an in-person role and requires residency in Rwanda.
- Managing the campus operations budget including additional procurement, and the associated budgetary approval, by coordinating with ALU Finance.
- Plan the Operations Department yearly budget forecast, Operational and CAPEX, and ensure that monthly spending are within the allocated budget.
- Ensuring a high service quality among ALU's service providers on the campus including managing and sourcing vendors and revising current contracts.
- Preserving the value of ALU's assets including frequent monitoring of cleanliness, maintenance and proper use of equipment.
- Ensuring the security of students on campus by working with the appointed service providers on risk assessment, security patrol management, security protocols, and managing security data including student movement.
- Acting as the point person for all ALU departments, and having overall responsibility for ensuring all operations teams are prepared to support the success of on-campus events, including in the case of any operational emergency.
- Overseeing Health and Safety on site through monitoring, risk simulations, and tracking regulatory and policy requirements in conjunction with Health and Safety expert.
- Ensuring regulatory and legal compliance of campus infrastructure such as fire safety Working with external consultants where necessary to improve operational effectiveness and efficiency
- Engaging with municipalities, district councils, property association, or relevant authorities, concerning campus needs requiring approval outside of ALU.
- Acting as the intermediary and liaison between service providers and students in the case of challenges encountered, or complaints lodged against either party.
- Coordinating required checks and inspections of the buildings to ensure that all specialised maintenance and cleaning interventions are addressed in a timely manner.
- Manage external stakeholders including landlord, external service providers and local authorities to ensure that any ALU projects are approved and carried out as per ALU’s requirements.
- Recruit, train and supervise all interns under the Operations department to enable them to carry out their duties properly.
- Design and manage any project required by ALU as per ALU’s requirements.
Systems Building and Tracking
- Oversee the creation and documentation of systems and processes, policies, protocols, and SOPs for ALU and with service providers to standardize our operational delivery, promote accountability and facilitate knowledge transfer across ALU campuses.
- Running crisis simulations to proactively identify and develop new SOPs, training opportunities and procurement recommendations.
- Running routine emergency procedures eg fire drills, to prepare community in case of emergency.
- Formulate strategic and operational objectives for the operations department and ensure it is implemented, monitored and reviewed as and when required.
- Manage all Operations department dashboards tracking Operations KPIs.
- Tracking, managing and reporting performance using data-driven methods for all campus operations; Overseeing selection, training, and succession of external operations partners and students assisting in campus operations roles.
- Manage contracts of service providers including drafting and reviewing of KPIs and SLAs periodically.
- Identify and implement ways to constantly improve the quality of customer service of the Operations department.
- Such other duties in respect of the Company as may be reasonably assigned by your team manager.
- Bachelor's degree in business administration, operations management, or a related field.
- 3-5 years of experience in operations management, preferably in a campus or educational setting.
- Strong organizational skills with the ability to multitask and prioritize competing demands.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a customer service mindset.
- Proficient in Google tools and other computer applications.
- Ability to work independently as well as collaboratively as part of a team.
- Flexibility to work occasional evenings or weekends, as needed.