Student Affairs Manager
African Leadership University
ALU provides higher education for a higher purpose. Our students declare missions, not majors.
They develop the real-world skills to take on the world’s most pressing challenges. And they take ownership of their learning from day one through our peer and student-led approach – because ALU believes in the power and agency of young people to start shaping the future right now.
Together with a world-class faculty and staff, our students are igniting a ripple of positive impact across Africa and the world.
Our mission is not going unnoticed. CNN described ALU — which has campuses in Mauritius and Rwanda — as “The Harvard of Africa;” Fast Company ranked ALU one of the 50 most innovative organizations in the world and the most innovative endeavor in Africa; and The New York Times recognized ALU as one of the eight places in the world “where history is being made.” Join us.
HOW WE WORK
As a high-growth start-up, the ALU Team works in starkly different ways to traditional academic bureaucracies. We approach education from first principles, empower individuals to design, test, and implement creative new ideas, and work closely together to craft transformative learning experiences. We are deeply passionate about our students and excited by the challenge of building something entirely new.
The African Leadership University (ALU) aims to develop millions of entrepreneurs and industry leaders by employing engaging, evidence-based teaching methods to integrate student learning with the real world, empower them to take ownership of their own learning and equip them with the ability to think and act entrepreneurially. Since the pandemic, our two campuses—Mauritius and Rwanda—and multiple centers of learning (Hubs) across the continent resumed operations, as is the ALU School of Business (ALUSB). Our plan and intention to scale a high-quality education across the continent continues. We are deeply passionate about our students and excited by the challenge of building a transformative, accessible, and impactful higher learning institution.
The mission of ALUSB is to serve as a catalyst for prosperity in Africa by developing world-class African business leaders and entrepreneurs who will make this century the ‘African Century.” ALUSB is seeking highly qualified and experienced faculty to help deliver modules in both the undergraduate and graduate programs.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As the Academic Manager at the African Leadership University School of Business, you will oversee and enhance the academic programs and initiatives. You will be responsible for managing the faculty members as well as collaborating closely with Learning Experience Designers to ensure a seamless and consistent delivery of programs to our students, both virtually and in person. The Academic Manager will play a pivotal role in maintaining academic excellence and ensuring curriculum design and delivery quality for all programs.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
As the Student Affairs Manager at ALUSB, you will play a pivotal role in overseeing and enhancing the student experience and success throughout their journey from post-admission to post-graduation. You will establish a high-quality academic culture that puts learning at the center of the ALUSB student experience while leveraging all the opportunities that ALU offers students in a structured way that provides students value as well as a one-of-a-kind and transformative experience. This position requires a dynamic individual with exceptional leadership, interpersonal, and organizational skills to ensure the holistic development and satisfaction of our postgraduate students.
The Student Affairs Manager reports to the ALUSB Dean and is responsible for student success and ALUmni support.
● Student Guidance and Support: Provide comprehensive guidance and support to students, assisting them in navigating academic, personal, and professional challenges throughout their learning journey at ALUSB.
● Program Management: Oversee the development, implementation, and evaluation of programs aimed at enhancing student success, including orientation & matriculation sessions, intensives, networking and career fairs programs, and other initiatives.
● Advisory Services: Offer guidance on academic planning and program requirements, collaborating closely with the academic team to ensure students meet their academic
●Student and ALUmni Engagement: Foster a vibrant and inclusive student and ALUmni community by coordinating and collaborating with the ALUmni Affairs team and organizing signature events and initiatives that promote student involvement and engagement.
● Crisis Intervention and Support: Act as a point of contact for students facing personal or academic challenges, providing appropriate referrals and support services.
● Data Management and Reporting: Maintain accurate records and data related to student affairs, generate reports, and use data-driven insights to improve student services and outcomes.
● Liaison with Registrar's Office: Serve as a liaison between students and the Registrar's Office (RO), ensuring students have access to all RO services and receive all necessary supporting documents for their academic progression.
● Collaboration and Liaison: Collaborate with faculty, administration, and external stakeholders to advocate for student needs, representing the student body's interests
● Continuous Improvement: Regularly assess and enhance existing student support services, seeking innovative approaches to optimize the student experience.
● Compliance and Policy Adherence: Ensure adherence to institutional policies, laws, and regulations governing student affairs and maintain a safe and conducive learning environment for all students.
●Advanced Degree: A doctorate or terminal degree in education, student affairs, higher education administration, or a related field.
● Leadership Experience in Higher Education: Minimum of 5 years of leadership or management experience in higher education, particularly in roles related to student affairs, student success, student experience, or student services.
● Leadership Skills: Demonstrated leadership experience in managing teams or programs within a higher education institution.
● Understanding of Higher Education Policies: Familiarity with higher education policies, regulations, and compliance requirements relevant to student affairs.
● Data Management and Analysis: Proficiency in maintaining records, generating reports, and utilizing data-driven insights to improve student services and experience.
● Adaptability and Innovation: Willingness to innovate and continuously improve existing student support services to create scalable processes and enhance the overall student experience.