ALUSB Academic Manager
African Leadership University
ALU provides higher education for a higher purpose. Our students declare missions, not majors.
They develop the real-world skills to take on the world’s most pressing challenges. And they take ownership of their learning from day one through our peer and student-led approach – because ALU believes in the power and agency of young people to start shaping the future right now.
Together with a world-class faculty and staff, our students are igniting a ripple of positive impact across Africa and the world.
Our mission is not going unnoticed. CNN described ALU — which has campuses in Mauritius and Rwanda — as “The Harvard of Africa;” Fast Company ranked ALU one of the 50 most innovative organizations in the world and the most innovative endeavor in Africa; and The New York Times recognized ALU as one of the eight places in the world “where history is being made.” Join us.
HOW WE WORK
As a high-growth start-up, the ALU Team works in starkly different ways to traditional academic bureaucracies. We approach education from first principles, empower individuals to design, test, and implement creative new ideas, and work closely together to craft transformative learning experiences. We are deeply passionate about our students and excited by the challenge of building something entirely new.
The African Leadership University (ALU) aims to develop millions of entrepreneurs and industry leaders by employing engaging, evidence-based teaching methods to integrate student learning with the real world, empower them to take ownership of their own learning and equip them with the ability to think and act entrepreneurially. Since the pandemic, our two campuses—Mauritius and Rwanda—and multiple centers of learning (Hubs) across the continent resumed operations, as is the ALU School of Business (ALUSB). Our plan and intention to scale a high-quality education across the continent continues. We are deeply passionate about our students and excited by the challenge of building a transformative, accessible, and impactful higher learning institution.
The mission of ALUSB is to serve as a catalyst for prosperity in Africa by developing world-class African business leaders and entrepreneurs who will make this century the ‘African Century.” ALUSB is seeking highly qualified and experienced faculty to help deliver modules in both the undergraduate and graduate programs.
ABOUT THE ROLE
As the Academic Manager at the African Leadership University School of Business, you will oversee and enhance the academic programs and initiatives. You will be responsible for managing the faculty members as well as collaborating closely with Learning Experience Designers to ensure a seamless and consistent delivery of programs to our students, both virtually and in person. The Academic Manager will play a pivotal role in maintaining academic excellence and ensuring curriculum design and delivery quality for all programs.
WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR
You are an academic guru, you have experience with managing learning; both virtual and in person programming. You have a keen eye for detail and you understand that no detail is too small when managing and curating the student experience. You have experience working with a broad range of stakeholders and you are able to seamlessly manage different expectations across the groups. You bring a positive attitude to your work and maintain a problem solving attitude as you tackle challenges. You have strong communication and team building skills and you bring exceptional project management and organizational skills to the table.
● Collaborate with faculty to review and update academic programs, ensuring relevance and alignment with industry trends and academic standards.
● Work with the LEDs to provide a student facing experience that is uniform across the board employing standardization of courses on the learning platform.
● Work closely with the faculty members to ensure that they have the support they need to deliver high-quality education within the context of ALUSB.
● Ensure the best use of faculty time and resources by managing their schedules.
● Manage the LED team to ensure that the faculty needs and vision for their courses is translated into the LMS through the support of the LED team.
● Guide the LEDs as technical support to faculty by being the point of contact for both entities and ensuring a smooth implementation of learning for our students.
● Implement and maintain quality assurance measures to uphold academic standards and program effectiveness.
● Develop and monitor key performance indicators to assess and improve academic program outcomes.
● Address and resolve academic issues and concerns as they come up.
● Manage the different student learning groups and other academic experiences.
Learning Experience Management
● Curate and manage the intensives experiences through developing a schedule that optimizes faculty time while giving students an excellent learning experience.
● Develop an academic calendar and work closely with the Student Affairs Manager to ensure the smooth delivery of learning experiences for the in person intensives as well as the online programming.
Research and Innovation
● Foster a culture of research and innovation among faculty and students encouraging the development and dissemination of knowledge across the board.
● Identify opportunities for academic research partnerships in collaboration with the ALUSB Projects Manager.
● Master’s degree in a relevant field such as Education or Learning Design.
● A minimum of 5 years of experience in Education Management or a related field.
● Strong project management and organizational skills.
● Strong knowledge of the African business landscape and a passion for education.