Faculty: Skills Immersion Associate
African Leadership University
ALU provides higher education for a higher purpose. Our students declare missions, not majors.
They develop the real-world skills to take on the world’s most pressing challenges. And they take ownership of their learning from day one through our peer and student-led approach – because ALU believes in the power and agency of young people to start shaping the future right now.
Together with a world-class faculty and staff, our students are igniting a ripple of positive impact across Africa and the world.
Our mission is not going unnoticed. CNN described ALU — which has campuses in Mauritius and Rwanda — as “The Harvard of Africa;” Fast Company ranked ALU one of the 50 most innovative organizations in the world and the most innovative endeavor in Africa; and The New York Times recognized ALU as one of the eight places in the world “where history is being made.” Join us.
HOW WE WORK
As a high-growth start-up, the ALU Team works in starkly different ways to traditional academic bureaucracies. We approach education from first principles, empower individuals to design, test, and implement creative new ideas, and work closely together to craft transformative learning experiences. We are deeply passionate about our students and excited by the challenge of building something entirely new.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Faculty in the Skills Immersion Department (hereafter referred to as simply “the department”) play a leading role in the smooth running of all facilitated and immersive learning modules offered by the department in support of the BSc (Hons) Entrepreneurial Leadership (BEL) and BSc (Hons) Software Engineering (BSE) programs respectively. In addition to leading modules, managing courses on the learning management system (LMS) Canvas, and carrying a portfolio of students to supervise, this role will also oversee other short-term, ad hoc graders from time to time.
- Facilitate sessions for the Professional Skills Lab module series in online, interactive interactive “flipped” classrooms
- Supervise students individually on their self-directed projects for the Skills Immersion module series.
- Engage in the assessment of student submissions for formatives and summatives in the departmental module offerings.
- Administer, configure, and maintain the departmental offerings’ courses on Canvas, ensuring a user-friendly and functional experience for learners and fellow faculty
- Collaborate with content creators to upload, organize, and manage educational content within Canvas
- Troubleshoot, resolve (when possible), and flag (when necessary) Canvas-related issues, including technical glitches, access problems, and user inquiries.
- Contribute to and co-deliver the student induction for the Skills Immersion module series in collaboration with the Student Professional Development (SPD) team for each new intake and support any redesign by providing feedback and implementing changes approved by the department head.
- Engage with all developmental and performance management processes for faculty
- Contribute to the annual program review to ensure content is up-to-date, valid, relevant, and reflects current and future trends in the 14 grand challenges and great opportunities, while giving consideration to pedagogical approaches suited for online learning.
- Structure and deliver student feedback mechanisms to inform recommendations to enhance the quality of programme delivery.
- Implement modifications to learning materials, assessments and other relevant components to meet internal and external quality assurance requirements.
- Contribute to updated documentation for the Skills Immersion departmental offerings, such as in the Bachelor of Entrepreneurial Leadership and Software Engineering program handbooks.
- Other relevant activities to ensure the successful delivery of the departmental offerings
- Contribute to decision-making as a member of the assessment board.
- Conduct administrative duties associated with managing other personnel in alignment with University policies and best practices, such as conducting performance reviews based on departmental objectives set by the Undergraduate Leadership team (‘Dean’s Council’).
- Work independently and proactively, taking ownership of tasks and projects
- Collaborate effectively with team members and stakeholders in various time zones and locations, acknowledging and embracing asynchronous communication methods.
- Any other reasonable duties that may be allocated from time to time by the department head.
- Master’s degree from an accredited institution in fields related to post-secondary education, curriculum and instruction, or the like.
- At least 3 years of relevant experience.
- Understanding of higher education trends, accreditation standards, and best practices in undergraduate education, particularly in Africa.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and collaboration skills.
- Strong analytical and pragmatic problem-solving abilities with an intrapreneurial and technical mindset.
- Strong commitment to increasing educational access on the Continent.
- Proficiency in utilizing educational technologies and data-driven decision-making.
- Excellent coaching and project management skills.
- Growth mindset both personally and professionally.
- Doctoral degree from an accredited institution in fields related to post-secondary education, curriculum and instruction, or the like.
- Master’s-level (or above) certification in academic practice.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience.
- Experience in online teaching and learning.
- Experience working in a remote or asynchronous work environment.
- Familiarity with Canvas (LMS) and its unique features.