African Leadership University
ALU is re-imagining university education for the 21st century by applying an innovative approach to tertiary education. We are leveraging modern pedagogy, advanced education technology and global partnerships with leading employers and universities to provide a deeply engaging learning experience. We are building campuses across the continent to deliver this new model of higher education. Our first two campuses —Mauritius and Rwanda— are already open, as is the ALU School of Business and five other hubs in major cities across the continent. Our ultimate objective is to develop 3 million game-changing leaders for Africa and the world by 2060.
HOW WE WORK
As a high-growth start-up, the ALU Team approaches education from first principles, empowers individuals to design, test, and implement creative new ideas, and works closely together to craft transformative learning experiences. We are deeply passionate about our students and excited by the challenge of building something entirely new.
ABOUT THE ROLE
The Accounts Payable Associate’s primary role is to develop and improve an Accounts Payable process which is scalable, across multi-location and has multiple payment streams.
- Ensure all supplier invoices received are processed according to set procedures.
- Adhere to supplier payment terms by preparing weekly payment runs.
- Dispatch remittance advice/swift confirmation to suppliers on a timely basis, as confirmation of payment.
- Reconcile supplier statements on a monthly basis and resolve discrepancies.
- Regular review of all open purchase orders and take initiative to clear these.
- Prepare and post entries to various nominal ledgers.
- Effect monthly payment run of all staff expenses due for payment.
- Ensure all consultant payments are paid along with staff after reviewing the list with People Ops team.
- Keep vendor database updated at all times.
- Assist the Financial Controller in preparation of weekly cash flow forecasts
- Actively review of spend reports to look for new contracting opportunities.
- General office administration as required.
- Prepare and file monthly withholding tax returns.
- Prepare and file yearly withholding tax returns and send out certificates to vendors.
- Maintain month end schedule and account for monthly accruals and prepayment release.
- Assist group finance with ad hoc projects.
- Perform such other duties as may be reasonably assigned by team manager.
- A Bachelor’s degree in finance (minimum)
- At least 3 years’ work experience in a similar role
- Impeccable attention to detail
- Project management skills, particularly strong work planning, prioritization, time management, scheduling and organization skills
- Demonstrated ability to use accounting software effectively, to manage and process data and agility to learn new tools and systems
- Experience working with cross functional teams
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience as a AP associate handling day-to-day operations
- Experience working in a start-up environment
- Experience working at a higher education institution in Africa
- Experience using accounting/ERP software
- High comfort level working within a self-directed culture and navigating ambiguity
- Openness to critique and curiosity to learn from other perspectives
- Experience working with audit and other management consultancy firms